shooting star

Meteor showers happen 2-3 times a year.  But I'd never seen one.

Until now.

I'd heard that this year's Perseid showers would be magnificent.  I decided that I needed to see the show.

40 years ago my neighborhood was all farmlands and woods.  These days it's a suburb pretending to be rural.  So it's fairly dark at night, you can see a lot of stars. 

So a couple of nights ago I stayed up past midnight, and then went outside.  It was a cool, comfortable night.  the crickets were chirping and the tree frogs were singing, and in the distance I could hear an owl hooting. 

I looked up at the stars and I tried to spot a meteor.  I tried really, really hard.  And all I saw were the stars getting blurry.


When I decided to relax and just enjoy the stars....

I started to see ...something...with my peripheral vision.  Not sure what I saw, I think I just sensed some movement, but when I turned to look...nothing.

And then I saw it.


A small pinpoint of light, travelling across the night sky, leaving just a thin wisp of a trail behind it.

Exquisite.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday