NaBloPoMo prompt: Tell us one thing you remember learning in school as a kid

Or, in my case, NOT learning it in school.

In that pre-digital world, the only way to tell time was by reading the hands on a clock.   So the lessons in how to tell time were very, very important.  I think I must have been in first grade when the skill was taught.  We spent a good deal of time meticulously tracing a circle, placing numbers on the clock face, then drawing in the hands to show the hours and minutes. 

Problem was, I already knew how to tell time, and the endless repetition of the lessons became very boring.  I rushed through the exercise, hastily drawing my circles freehand (and I'm no artist), quickly numbering the clock face, drawing in the hands...each drawing accurately depicted the correct time -- 12:00, 3:15, 5:20, whatever -- but the work was very, very sloppy.

So sloppy, in fact, that the teacher thought I had some sort of visual impairment, that I wasn't able to see what I was doing.  She told my mother to have my eyesight checked!

My mother, of course, figured out what was really going on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A