and at the other end of the eldercare spectrum....

My dad is in the hospital again.  No surprise there, given his age (88) and his ongoing medical issues.  My sisters are a bit over the top when it comes to my father's care, i.e., they'll spend the whole night at my father's bedside if the staff permits.  My father has always hated hospitals, and now that his Parkinson's-related dementia has progressed, being away from familiar surroundings scares him.  and since he's lost so much of his mobility, he relies on my sisters more and more.

My mother's behavior has changed a lot in the last few months, also because of neurological impairments.  She is like a toddler these days.  You'll tell her something and think she understands, but she never fully processed it.  Or she will understand, but forget a few minutes later.  She has to be told what to wear, and she needs to be supervised as she wanders around the house  - if she tries to "help" with the housework, it's inevitable that she will create a larger mess. She wanted to go for a walk Sunday afternoon.  I would not let her leave the house by herself. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A