Restaurant review -- Bubba Gump's Shrimp Company

So, as I mentioned the other day, Drew and I wound up in Bubba Gump's on Saturday night.

I think one of the reasons I like this restaurant is my fondness for the movie. It's one of those films that I'll watch whenever it's on TV. The restaurant is kitschy and touristy, it's like stepping into the middle of the movie, it's like going to Disney. In fact, the first Bubba Gump's I went to was the one on Citiwalk, at Universal in Orlando, Florida.

The NYC location in in the heart of Times Square. Street level contains a lobby/hostess station and gift shop, dining is on the second floor, with wall-to-wall windows offering a view of the street below.

The place is always busy, but we arrived early enough in the evening that we did not have to wait for a table.

There are salads, steaks and burgers on the menu, but the star of the show is clearly shrimp. The menu offers a variety of shrimp dishes -- fried, grilled, scampi -- as well as other fish and seafood.

We ordered our usual, the Shrimpers' Heaven: fried shrimp, coconut shrimp, shrimp tempura and peel-and-eat cocktail shrimp, accompanied by French fries and dipping sauces. The waitress offered up grilled shrimp in place of the cocktail shrimp, and we both chose that option. I won't do that again, the grilled shrimp was underdone and way too spicy. The other shrimp varieties, however, were wonderful -- I especially like the tempura shrimp, such a light and delicate coating. I'd order the tempura as an entree if it were offered. Coconut shrimp and fried shrimp were crunchy and delicious.

The drink menu is always interesting. We're not doing anything alcoholic these days, but the lemonades...I loved the strawberry lemonade, tart but refreshing. Drew's drink was much sweeter, he had something called a Fizzy Fizz, a cherry lemonade.

If you are celebrating a birthday, the waitstaff will show up at your table with a small sundae and a pink unicorn hobby horse, and will sing and make a fuss over you. It gave Drew a moment to act silly. (I tried to take a photo, but it came out blurry.)

We did have one glitch. We ordered the Frizzled Onions appetizer, but it was never served. We were not billed for the missing item, and we did get an apology from the manager. Mistakes happen, it's how the staff handles them that matters to me, and this glitch was handled appropriately.

Overall a nice dinner, a good experience. New will be back.



Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. on Urbanspoon


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday