Hamsa

I take it back, never mind what I said on Friday the 13th.  I am, after all, a bit superstitious.

After the attempted bank fraud, the flat tire resulting from my encounter with the pothole from hell, and the bad news I got from my accountant (It's never good news when he finishes a tax return and says "Please don't hate me" before telling you that you owe the IRS...), I've decided I need to change my luck.

I've taken to wearing this bracelet:



From  Wikipedia


-The hamsa (Arabic: خمسة‎ khamsah, Hebrew: חַמְסָה, also romanized khamsa, meaning lit. "five") is a palm-shaped amulet popular throughout the Middle East and North Africa, and commonly used in jewellery and wall hangings.

The Hand (Khamsa), particularly the open right hand, is a sign of protection that also represents blessings, power and strength, and is seen as potent in deflecting the evil eye.

From About.com

The name “hamsa” comes from the Hebrew word “hamesh,” which means five. “Hamsa” refers to the fact that there are five fingers on the talisman, though some also believe it represents the five books of the Torah. Sometimes it is called the Hand of Miriam after Moses’ sister.


Of all the Biblical heroines, I've always felt an affinity for Miriam.  So it's nice that the talisman I choose to wear right now is linked to her.

Comments

  1. It will be interesting to see if this works. I say, why not. Miriam was such a strong, courageous woman. I know someone who had an exorcism done on her property (yes, believe it or not); not sure that it solved her problem completely, though. Alana

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A