NaBloPoMo prompt: What is your favourite thing to make for dinner?

I don't do much cooking these days. When I was married, and my kids were young, I had to put dinner on the table most nights.

 But now I live a much more bohemian life, splitting y time between my parents' home and Drew's house.

 Even before we started with the renovations at our house, the kitchen had become my sisters' domain.   Drew and I tend to go out most weekends, and when we are at his house, he likes to do the cooking.  But I occasionally take over his kitchen, and when I do...

Well, my favorite.

Spaghetti (or some other pasta) with meat sauce.  It's easier than making meatballs, and the recipe is very forgiving and adaptable.   Add a salad and buy a loaf of garlic bread, and you've got dinner.

Here's my recipe:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lb ground beef (or ground turkey)
salt and pepper to taste
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
6 oz water


Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, salt and pepper, and cook until brown, breaking up with fork, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer beef to plate. Add onion and garlic to skillet and sauté until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir. Return beef to skillet; add tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Add water. Add oregano.  Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until sauce is thick, about 30 minutes.   Serve over cooked pasta and pass grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.

I measure the salt by pouring it into my hand until it looks "right", just as my mother and grandmother did.  I measure the water by filling the can from the tomato paste.  And I crush the oregano with my hands before adding it to the sauce.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday