Happy Birthday To Me

The family story is that I was my father's birthday present. His birthday was yesterday, mine is today. Traditionally we would have spaghetti and meatballs for his birthday because that's what my mother prepared the night before I was born.

I also told that my parents saw the movie "Ben Hur" just a few days earlier; they joked that I shou have been a boy, should have been born in the movie theater, and if that had happened, I would have been named Ben Hur.

My dad turned 88 yesterday. We celebrated with a family dinner. My sisters were very clever ...there are 88 keys on a piano, so they did a party theme in black and white, to represent the keys.

They bought paper goods and candy to fit the theme. Black tablecloth, black and white placemats. White candles, white tulips in a vase. Some of us had black plates, others had white plates. Black and white napkins. The cups were black, the straws black and white. Black jelly beans and white jelly beans. Snow caps -- dark chocolate with white nonpareils.

No spaghetti, but we did have lasagna. Jen made garlic bread. There was steak and baked potatoes. We had cake from Reinwalds and cookies from Dortoni.

My dad enjoyed himself. It's good to see him smile.  I saw flashes of the man he used to be, before old age robbed him of his health, his independence, his personality.



My day will be a bit different ... After work, Drew and I are headed to Benihana.  Twirling knives, onion volcanos, flying shrimp tails ... Can't wait!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A