NaBloPoMo prompt: Have you ever attempted to make your own clothes? Tell us about the results.

When I was in junior high, back in the Dark Ages, girls took Home Economics and boys took Shop.

I did well in 7th grade, with units on shopping and cooking and nutrition.  I enjoyed cooking.  I never became a great chef, I've had my share of kitchen disasters, but I can put a decent meal on the table.

And then came 8th grade.  And the focus shifted to other domestic arts.


Learning to crochet was fun.  I wasn't very good at it, my stitches were uneven. But I persevered, and actually followed the pattern and completed the hat.  Even wore it once.

Then came sewing.

You had to pick a pattern, cut the fabric and sew the garment.   I don't know how my mother survived bringing me to the fabric store so that I could buy my supplies -- she'd break out in hives anytime she got close to a sewing machine.

 I chose a pretty, cap-sleeved  A-line dress and aqua fabric.  It was a dress I really wanted.  I imagined myself wearing the dress, twirling around  in it, feeling like a princess.

 In hindsight it was probably  way too ambitious a project for a girl who had never done any sewing before.  But I had high hopes.


And then I sat in class every day and struggled.  Threading the needle took forever.  I couldn't get my seams straight.  The thought of adding the zipper scared me half to death.

The other girls all finished their projects before I sewed a complete side seam.

Ultimately the teacher sewed the dress together so that I could pass her class.

And I never wore it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday