NYC characters

Spending more time in the city can lead to...um...interesting encounters.

Case in point, the young man on the subway.  Tall, 20-something, looked just like Tom Cruise in Risky Business except he was actually wearing pants.

It's 8:30 in the morning, so crowded on the 2 train you can barely move, and this yutz is leaning up against a pole that's meant for passengers to use as a handhold.  I have no place else to hold on, and you really don't want to find out what will happen if I have to ride the subway without being able to hold onto something...

So as soon as he moves away from the pole to allow someone to walk past him, I grab onto the pole.  And he has the nerve to say to me "I was leaning against that, but fine..." -- just as four other hands reach out to take hold of the pole.


Or how about the woman who got off the train at 34th St. even though it wasn't her stop, because she had to get out of the way of others who were getting off the train.she got back on the train and stood blocking the doorway, and was genuinely surprised that other people wanted to get onto the train.


Got a good laugh from a young lady in the subway station.  It was hot and muggy.  She looked down the tracks at the empty tunnel and yelled  (loud enough for the whole station to hear) "Hurry up, train!  It's hot as an oven in here!"


Case in point, the young man on William Street.  I had just left the office, and I dashed into Duane Reade because I had a Tide Pen emergency.  Existed the store, used the pen, and was gathering myself together to walk to the subway when this young man approached.  Tall, 20-something, blonde and bearded, wearing a hard hat (huh?)  and smoking a cigarette.

"Excuse me, ma'am...I'm from Long Island and I've lost my phone."  I just knew this was some sort of scam to separate me from my phone...there's still a real, honest-to-goodness pay phone on Fulton Street, go use that!


Not to mention the homeless guy who appointed himself "doorman" at the Dunkin Donuts on Fulton St.  He blocked the door so you couldn't get around him, then when he opened it for you, he'd shake his cup, expecting you to drop a few coins into it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday