Ah...summer

Yesterday was the 4th of July, the quintessential summer holiday. And it rained. So we moved the festivities indoors. Made my famous caprese salad, of course. Overdid it on hot dogs and burgers.

The rain stopped by early evening, so we went outside to watch the neighborhood fireworks.

Poor Duchess, she does not like having a crowd of strangers in her house. And I wasn't sure how she'd react to the noise from the fireworks. We set her up in the spare bedroom, with her food dish and her litter box.

Overall another successful party at Drew's house.

Caprese salad is really easy. I can't write my recipe in cookbook format, but here's what I do:

I use two pints of cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes -- yesterday I used a pint of yellow grape tomatoes and a pint of red grape tomatoes. I cut the tomatoes in half.

I use a pound of fresh mozzarella. I prefer to use the kind that comes shaped in balls, because I like the cheese to be about the same size as the tomato halves.

I used about an ounce of fresh basil. I mix the tomatoes, cheese and basil in a bowl.

I make a dressing from balsamic vinegar and olive oil -- in equal amounts -- with a dash of salt and pepper. I use about half a cup to 3/4 cup dressing. I let it marinate for at least an hour in the fridge.

So simple.  So good.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A