Songbird loves the 80's: CATS


 
 
Composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber, and based on poetry by T.S. Elliot, Cats opened in London in 1981, and on Broadway in 1982. In 1997 it became the longest-running show on Broadway. When it closed in September 2000, it had run 7,485 performances. Nominated for 11, it was awarded 7 Tonys.

Those yellow eyes stared at you from the marquee of the Wintergarden Theater for years.  And long after the show closed, I'd find myself looking for those eyes every time I walked near that theater. 

I had two cast albums, the original London cast and the Broadway cast, I had the Broadway album memorized, and I could tell you, in glorious detail, what was changed when the show came across the pond.

I saw the show three times during its record-breaking run.  I loved the video production that was done in 1998. 

I actually named my cat "Mr. Mistoffelees".

I am pleased to know that the revival is coming to Broadway in the fall.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday