Making Strides Against Breast Cancer

Yes, it's that time of year.  Time to sign up for the annual breast cancer walk at Jones Beach.

I try to do the walk every year.  It's my way of giving back for all the kindness and support I received when I was sick 11 years ago.  Except for the year I worked the registration tent, and the two  years when I signed up to walk but didn't go to the beach, I've always done the walk.   You start at Field 5, walk to the West End bathhouse, turn around at the tribute fence, and come back to Field 5.

(I'm a little confused, though.  The route hasn't changed, but apparently the distance has.  When I first started doing the walk, the website and promotional materials said it was a "five mile walk".  In later years,  the promotion materials said it was a "five kilometer walk".  This year the website says, once again, that the walk is five miles. Five kilometers is just over three miles, so that's a huge difference, isn't it? )

When I first started doing the walk, I could barely finish it.  I'd walk to the tribute fence without a problem, but  then I'd have drag myself back to the starting point.  But since I've started walking for fun and exercise...well, last year the walk was not difficult at all, and this year I'm sure it will be much easier.

I'm really looking forward to it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday