work update

Back in the early 1990's, I was living in Queens and commuting to a job in Jersey City.  I'd take the E train from Queen to the World Trade Center, then switch to the PATH train to New Jersey.  There was a billboard in the PATH station, it dominated the space.  For the life of me I cannot remember the product or service that was being promoted, but I can still see the model, an anguished look on his face, and the slogan -- something along the lines of "What's worse, being laid off on Friday or having to pick up the slack on Monday?"  That billboard has stayed with me for two decades. (Would you consider that an advertising success or an advertising failure?)

Today I am picking up the slack.

You may remember that I started in this position last June, after 12 years with my previous employer.  Five of us were hired for the project, all starting on the same day.  Initially we all worked in the client's offices in lower Manhattan, but more recently two of us have been working in our company's Long Island office, using remote access on our computers to handle the job. 

On Monday two of our coworkers were asked to come out to Long Island, and were told that they're being laid off.  Their last day with the project will be June 30.  The remaining three of us will be asked to take on their caseloads as well as our own.  Today I am headed into the city, to the client's office, for a meeting on how the transition will be handled. 

Picking up the slack is going to be challenging, and being with the soon-to-be-former coworkers is going to be awkward and uncomfortable. 

But no, I don't think I'd want to trade places right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday