Product review --Starkist Tuna Salad



Tuna salad is easy to make.  But if you're in a hurry, or you need something that's easily portable, a single serve packet of ready-to-eat tuna salad  has some allure.

It's just the kind of thing I can keep at my desk, in case I can't get out at lunchtime.

I tried two varieties, the basic Tuna Salad and Mediterranean Style Tuna.

Starkist's basic version is composed of light tuna, pickle relish and a soy-oil based dressing.  The packet contains a three ounce portion, just enough for one sandwich -- if your sandwich also includes lettuce and tomato.  Alone, the salad seems a bit skimpy. Bumblebee packages a similar sized portion of tuna salad as a "snack".

 I prefer fancy white albacore tuna. It just tastes better than light tuna. But the tuna tasted fresh -- Bumblebees' version comes in a can and sometimes has a metallic aftertaste.  I liked the basic tuna salad, and will likely buy it again.

But I'm not likely to buy the Mediterranean Style Tuna again.  the ingredients include light tuna and sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, but I couldn't taste the tomatoes.  There's nothing to bind it together, and there was far too much oil involved -- it made a very messy sandwich, and I wound up eating the tuna with a fork.  Perhaps this product should be marketed as a salad topper, not a sandwich filling. 

.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A