Songbird Salutes the 70's: Jaws

Well, this is not a boat accident! And it wasn't any propeller; and it wasn't any coral reef; and it wasn't Jack the Ripper! It was a shark.


I just found out, that a girl got killed here last week, and you knew it! You knew there was a shark out there! You knew it was dangerous! But you let people go swimming anyway? You knew all those things! But still my boy is dead now. And there's nothing you can do about it. My boy is dead. I wanted you to know that.

Larry, the summer is over. You're the mayor of "shark city". These people think you want the beaches open.

 I'm not going to waste my time arguing with a man who's lining up to be a hot lunch.

Martin, it's all psychological. You yell barracuda, everybody says, "Huh? What?" You yell shark, we've got a panic on our hands on the Fourth of July.

Mr. Vaughn, what we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks, and that's all.

Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu to you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so never more shall we see you again.




The movie Jaws was released 40 years ago today, thus beginning the tradition of the summer blockbuster. It spawned three sequels, numerous parodies, and even a theme park ride.  The music from the movie is so familiar...everyone knows what to expect when they hear those opening notes.  It's such a part of our pop culture that it was a joke in Back To The Future II -- remember the marquee advertising Jaws 19?  Or the scene in Airplane! where the plane's fin breaks through the clouds to that familiar music?

I was 15 when the movie came out.  I'd read the Peter Benchley novel and was ready for a good scare.  And I was not disappointed.

One summer, I think it was a couple of years after the initial movie came out, my sister Andrea tortured my sister Felice .  Andrea told Felice that a shark lived in our swimming pool, under the liner.  Felice refused to put so much as a toe in the water for days.

When Drew and I visited Orlando in 2011, we had to go to Universal, and we had to ride Jaws.  It was campy, it was fun, not the least bit scary...it's gone now, cleared away for an expanded Harry Potter exhibit.  Maybe that's for the best -- the news is full of serious shark attacks this summer, an all too real horror story.

The best moment of the movie:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday