June 28, 1987

I've been lately thinking
About my life's time
All the things I've done
And how its been
And I can't help believing
In my own mind
I know I'm gonna hate to see it end
  -- John Denver


There are places I'll remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever, not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life, I've loved them all
  --  Lennon-McCartney

We dated, we broke up.  We tried it again, we broke up.  Third time around, we got married.  Had two children.  Got divorced.  Dated other people.  Got back together.

28 years ago today, Drew and I got married.  The anniversary always puts me in a contemplative mood.  The choices I've made over the course of my life.  How things might have turned out if I'd made other decisions.

Last week Jen asked me some very probing questions about the divorce.  She was just shy of her 4th birthday when we split up, she has very little memory, if any, of that time.

You cannot go back and change the past (except in science fiction, of course).  The decisions you made yesterday shape who you are, who you have become, and how you approach your future.  I read a lot of science fiction, so I can't help but wonder what, if given the chance, I would change about my past, and what effect it would have on the present and on my future.

The reality is, I cannot go back, I cannot undo what has been done.  I own every decision I made, for good or for bad. 

Learn. Grow.  Shape the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A