TBT

You have seen my buddy Redford (my sister's cat)




 
Redford is an only cat these days. But that wasn't always the case.  I think he still misses his pal Mr. Kitty, even though the Kittyman has been gone for  a few years..






Jen used to joke that Mr. Kitty was her "boyfriend".  He was a sweet cat.  




We called Mr. Kitty a "self rescued kitty". We didn't find him, he found us.  

Back in 2001, our household had three cats.  There was Maggie, a lovely gray cat with Russian Blue in her genes.  There was Felix, Maggie's brother, black on tan stripes with white paws.  And there was Daisy, all 6 pounds of her, white fur with gray markings.  She was a real sweetie.

One day, in early September, my sister thought she saw Daisy on the backyard deck.  Closer inspection revealed that it wasn't our Daisy, but rather, a very young kitten with similar markings.  When my sister called "Here, kitty, kitty," the cat came right to her. 


Here's a photo of Daisy.




My family lives about 1/2 mile from a pond, a nature preserve of sorts, where people have been known to dump their unwanted cats.  As a result, there's a small colony of feral cats living at the pond.  We assumed that the kitten was not feral, but had been abandoned at the pond, because it was friendly and wanted to be with people. 

Of course my sister started feeding the kitten. 

So of course the kitten chose to stay around our house. 

Eventually we realized the kitten was a male.  By then, he was used to being called "Kitty", so my sisters decided his name should be "Mr. Kitty".   The vet said he was about 4 weeks old when he found us.

And despite my mother's protestations that she did not want another cat, Mr. Kitty became a part of our family.  Yes, he was a self-rescued kitty, wasn't he?

And my father?  He kept saying he liked dogs, not cats.  But when Mr. Kitty came to the dinner table begging for scraps, he always went straight to my father, and my father gleefully fed the cat.


He grew up to be 20 pounds of love and affection.



He was a special cat, and I still miss him.



Comments

  1. Awww, I needed a dose of cat today. Thank you. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite the group of cats. Perhaps another cat will find you soon and Redford will no longer be an only cat.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday