Music Monday

 And it's a "your choice" week.

I am a suburban girl, I live on Long Island.  But at various times I have worked in Manhattan.  And, of course, I've enjoyed much of what the city has to offer.  

I changed jobs in March of 2020.  Until March 13th I worked in lower Manhattan., but now I work for a Long Island company.  I had not been back to the city since March of last year, until ...

... the only place I could get my vaccine was the Javits Center, a huge convention hall on 11th Avenue and 34th Street.  

It was weird being back in the city.  The city is starting to open up again, but still...

New York is a great city, one that is hurting right now.  I'm sure it will bounce back.


So let's celebrate New York, New York.


Back in 2014 there was a Broadway revival of On The Town, and the stars made this promotional video:



Barry Manilow wrote a love letter to his home town:




Manhattan Transfer was all about the Boy From New York City





Are you in an Empire State of Mind yet?



Or maybe you prefer the rap version?



Hamilton's Schuyler Sisters thought New York was the greatest city in the world





Live theater will be back someday....


Remember this headline?



It was the inspiration for this song:





It's become an anthem to the city's resilience.  Any time NYC is in trouble, you can count on Billy to be there, singing his song.

And he usually follows it with this one:




The last song...well, you probably figured out what I am going to pick...but there are two very good versions of the song...both iconic...which to choose?

How about both?

Start with Liza....




And the only one who could follow Liza, Old Blue Eyes...




Can't choose between them?  How about both?

Here's the encore:



(did you catch her saying "I love you, Uncle Frank"?)

It's up to you, New York, New York...

Comments

  1. That's a lot of New York City in song. I have a lot of faith in my native New York City coming back, but in what form, I am not sure. What you did do is have one of my favorite New York City themed songs (besides The Boxer, by Simon and Garfunkel),which was perfect for your theme: Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway) New York City forever. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alana,

    I'm sure NYC will bounce back, too. I just love your collection of New York themed songs and is a great way to pepper your fellow NYCers mood to getting back to way life used to be one day soon. ;) Thanks for putting an extra wiggle in my move this morning and for joining the 4M crew on the dance floor. Have a boogietastic day, darlin'! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. NYC like the city I live near San Francisco will reinvent themselves and bounce back. Nice songs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a similar vaccine experience. It was weird seeing people in masks in downtown, and then I realized I hadn't been to downtown since before everything shut down. We all kind of stayed at home for real, didn't we?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday