Saturday 9

 

Ordinary People

Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme.

ORDINARY PEOPLE (2005)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, John Legend sings that both he and his girl have "room to grow." What about you? In what areas would you like to improve?

I am a disorganized procrastinaor...

2) He sings that when he hangs up in anger, she calls him back. Are you quicker to anger, or quicker to forgive?

I've mellowed as I got older, I used to be very hot tempered.

3) "Ordinary People" was John Legend's first big hit. He originally wrote it for The Black Eyed Peas, but -- happily for him -- recorded it himself. Have you ever purchased a gift for someone else but then decided to keep it yourself?

No, I didn't decide to keep it...I bought a souvenir for someone while on a trip to the Caribbean, a wooden jewelry box.  She was in the hospital when I came home from the trip.  I decided to wait to give her the box until she was home ... I think of her every time I look at the box...
 
4) Ordinary People is also the title of an acclaimed novel by Judith Guest and an Oscar-winning film. Are you familiar with either the movie or the book?

I know about them, but I never read the book or watched the movie.

5) John is married to Chrissy Teigen, who gained fame as a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model. When is the last time you dove in? Were you in a pool, lake, river or sea?

Summer 2019 I had a pass to the community pool, went swimming about once a week.   I didn't get a pass for the pool last summer, but this simmer looks promising.  

I'm also a 10 minute drive from the beach.  I  don't really swim at the beach, but I have been known to get my feet wet.

6) John unexpectedly proposed to Chrissy on vacation, but he was afraid airport security would ruin the surprise when they went through his carry on very thoroughly. He worried she would see the ring box and he'd have to drop down to one knee right there at the airport! Tell us about one of your flights: your first, your most recent or your most memorable.

Three stories.

(1) My first flight was in 1972, I was 12 years old.  My grandmother took me from NYC to Miami.  I was afraid we'd be hijacked to Cuba.  

(2) Business trip, coming home to NYC from San Diego. I was traveling alone, had a carry-on bag but no checked luggage.  I booked a seat as close to the exit as possible, thinking I'd hop off the flight and head home ASAP. The airline overbooked the flight and upgraded us to a larger plane to accommodate everyone. My new seat assignment was in the very last row.

You can imagine how I felt about that...until I realized I was alone in the very last row.  Next to two empty seats.  For a five hour flight that's a huge difference....

(3) My daughter was on the high school cheerleading team, and the team was headed to Florida for a competition.  Many of the moms went with the team as chaperones.  When we got to the airport, we let all the girls check in at the counter, then all the moms checked in.  When I got to the counter, the airline agent told me that she'd inadvertently given my boarding pass to my daughter. She gave my daughter's boarding pass to me.

Apparently when you are cute and blonde, TSA agents do not scrutinize your paperwork...but when you are a middle-aged mom...TSA would not let me through security.  I had to ask one of the other girls to go find my daughter...

7) John is currently a coach on The Voice. The other coaches are Nick Jonas, Kelly Clarkson and Blake Shelton. Of those four singers, which is your favorite? 

8) In 2005, when this song was popular, Johnny Carson died. After he retired from The Tonight Show in 1993, he traveled extensively and discovered he especially enjoyed photographic safaris in Africa. If time and money were no object, where would you go on vacation?

ANYWHERE. EVERYEWHERE.

I think we're considering a Caribbean cruise in 2022, and a return to central Florida in 2023.    Europe is on the bucket list. So is Israel.  Hawaii.  Japan.  Turkey.  Brazil.  
 
9) Random question -- In your typical day, what's the longest you usually go without saying a word to another person: all day, a few hours, an hour, or five minutes?

I live alone.  I work from home.  There are times when I don't leave the house for several days.  There are days when my work requires me to be on the phone all the time, and then there are days when I never pick up the phone for work.   But at night I am usually on the phone with my boyfriend and/or friends and relatives.  So I've never gone a whole day without speaking, but I've come close...


Comments

  1. I got nervous just reading about your business trip. Thank goodness you had a relaxed travel home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can easily go the whole weekend without talking out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #6 Some of the reasons I don't want to fly now. I rather take the train.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not too crazy about flying. For one thing I have an ear issue and was told not to fly because of it, but I've never been big on airplanes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't swim in the ocean, either. Ankle deep is my limit. Too many things in there I can't see...starting with sharks. I don't know if I'd feel differently about clear blue water because I've never been in any, but the fear is pretty deep seated at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For your #1 I would say my health. I recall people saying "If you have your health you have everything" Now I'm looking at retirement and Grandchildern. I get it.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right now the roommates are on a road trip. So, I've gone all day without speaking to another soul. However, I talk to myself. (It helps me organize my thoughts.) I've been talking all day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday