NaBloPoMo prompt - What was your favorite song this year? Five years ago? Ten years ago? Twenty?

How could a "songbird" resist this writing prompt?

What was your favorite song this year? Five years ago? Ten years ago? Twenty?

My musical tastes, as you may have guessed, range far and wide. 

2010.  My current favorite song has got to be Jimmy Buffett's cover of the Crosby, Stills & Nash song, "Southern Cross".  Aside fromt he fact that I've become a real Parrtohead in the last year or so, and have gone to two Buffett concerts, but the lyrics of this song...well, when I went on my cruise in February...I had to do some star-gazing aboard ship.

2005.  Two songs come to mind.  Melissa Etheridge's "I Run for Life" and Tim McGraw's "Live Like You Were Dying".  That was my year from hell, with surgery and radiation and chemo, and those two songs touched me deeply.

2000.  Well, for me, that was a year dominated by Billy Joel.  I have his concert album from the show he did at Mdison Square Garden on 12/31/1999.  A two-disc set, it's filled with his big hits from the 70's and 80's. I've always loved his music.  Of course, the other dominant musical theme back then was everything Disney.   I took my kids to Disneyworld twice that year.  Knew every word to every song in The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin....

1990.  The year Jen was born.  Funny how I can't remember too much about the music of that year, I'm usually one to associate music with specific events in my life.  I do remember that on 11/6/90, the night before Jen was born, Drew and I watched a Madonna concert on HBO.  I liked Madonna back then (still do, actually), but she wouldn't be the artist who I'd pick as my favorite.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday