Saturday 9

 

I See Love

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme! 

I See Love (2010)

Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.


1) This is the theme from Mike and Molly, a TV show that ran from 2010 to 2016. Were you a fan?

I liked the show but never got into the habit of watching it.

2) Molly was played by Melissa McCarthy. Today she's one of Hollywood's best-paid actresses, but when she began her career, she was barely scraping by. She recently recalled the time when, as a struggling actress, she was rejected at the ATM because it only gave out $20s and she didn't have even that much in her checking account. How often do you visit the ATM? Several times a week? Several times a month? Never?

2-3 times per month  now.  More often pre-Covid, when I was working in Manhattan.

Funny story.  When my daughter Becca was a college freshman, she got a call from her bank advising that someone had stolen her debit card number and was trying to use it to buy computer equipment in Las Vegas.  The bank canceled her card and mailed her another card.  She was panicked, though because she had no idea how she would get cash until the new card arrived.  She had no idea she could walk into the bank, fill out a form and request money from a real, live person called a "teller".

3) When she was broke, Melissa couldn't afford blueberries and avocados.  Now she savors them. When you're a few bucks ahead, what do you splurge on?

Lobster.

4) Mike was played by Billy Gardell. He was working at a comedy club, cleaning the bathrooms and answering the phone. He used to crack jokes with other employees and finally one of his coworkers dared him to go onstage on "open mic night." A comedy career was born. Tell us about someone who pushed you to make the right move.

I am sure I have gotten good advice over the years, but right now nothing comes to mind.

5) On the show, Mike's best friend was his fellow officer, Carl McMillan. Carl was not especially motivated and still lived with his grandmother, well into his 30s. How old were you when you moved out of the house for good?

Funny story there.  I lived in a dorm all through college and law school, but always came home to my parents' house when school was out.  I graduated at 24, got my first full-time job a short time later, and moved out of the house as soon as I had saved enough money for an apartment.  

I was 27 when I got married.

And then I was 34 and divorced, and my very young children and I moved into my parents' house "temporarily".  

Becca was the first to move out, she got an apartment in Manhattan about a year after she graduated from college.  Jen moved in with her boyfriend a short time later.  

And then the pandemic hit...and I moved in with Drew "temporarily". Who knew I'd still be here five months later?



6) Mike's and Molly's mothers are different as night and day and frequently did not get along. Have you ever had in-law trouble?

I was taught not to speak ill of the dead.  

7) This week's song was written by Keb Mo. He switches among several different guitars when he works -- electric, acoustic and resonator. Can you play guitar?

I took guitar lessons in high school but never learned to play.

8) In 2010, when this show premiered, Apple introduced the iPad. Do you use a tablet? 

I love my iPad.

9) This week's random question gives you an opportunity to brag: What's something you do better than most people?

Don't start a debate with me, I will bury you.

Comments

  1. Becca is not alone in being confused "old school" banking. There are YouTube videos that demonstrate how to write a check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I teach my high school students how to sign their signature because they don't have any idea. They think it's just scribbles and didn't know it is cursive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom still uses the old school way of baking and no use in trying to change her now. I hardly ever go to the bank. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yikes! I will take that warning to heart. I hate debating so you would definitely bury me...unless I escape by running screaming for the hills. lol Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, you never really moved out of your parents' home. . .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday