Saturday 9

Mad About You

Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme. 

Saturday 9: Mad About You (1992)
 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Mad About You was a sitcom that ran from 1992 to 1999. Are you familiar with the show? Were you a fan? 

Yes, I loved the show.  I think I stopped watching it halfway through the original run, though.  And I didn't watch the reboot.

2) The show was rebooted in 2019/2020 on the Spectrum streaming service. Do you have any streaming services? If so, which ones?

I've got a few -- Amazon Prime, Disney+, CBS All Access and Peacock.  Drew has all of the above, and Netflix and Hulu.

3) The series revolved around Manhattan newlyweds Paul and Jamie Buchman. They met at a newsstand, where they were both purchasing The New York Times. With so many publications online, newsstands are now uncommon. When you want to purchase a printed newspaper or magazine, where do you go?

Oh, my...a printed newspaper?  How quaint.  

Actually I subscribe to a newspaper, it's delivered to my house.  I prefer to read it on line, but my sister  likes to read the printed copy to my mother.

When I was still working in NYC (I stopped working in the city in March)  I could get a paper at the newsstand in the subway.  Out here in suburbia, I think I could find a paper in CVS or Rite Aid.

4) Paul is played by Paul Reiser. He created the series because he believes marriage is a tough but satisfying adventure. He and real-life wife Paula have been married for more than 30 years. They met when she was a waitress at the comedy club where he was performing. Have you ever waited tables?

Nope.

5) Helen Hunt won four Emmy Awards as Jamie. Over 10 million people watch the Emmys each year. She also won an Oscar, which has an annual viewership of twice that. Therefore huge audiences witnessed Helen's acceptance speeches. Are you comfortable speaking in public?

I still fight the butterflies when I stand up in a courtroom to address the judge, but yeah, I think I am OK speaking in public.

6) During the opening credits, Paul and Jamie are sharing an ice cream bar. When did you most recently have ice cream?

There's some pistachio in the freezer right now, but I finished the chocolate last week.

7) Paul and Jamie's best friends were another couple, Fran and Mark. Eventually Fran and Mark divorced, and Paul and Jamie worked at being friends with both of them. Have you been friends with a couple who split? Did you manage to stay friends with both of them?

Of course I've known couples who split up.  Relationships are complicated.  Sometimes you lose friends, sometimes not.

8) In 1992, when Paul and Jamie were playing New Yorkers, real New Yorkers were following the trial of mobster John Gotti. Mr. Gotti acquired many nicknames, including The Teflon Don, The Dapper Don and Black John. Is there anyone in your life that you call by a pet name or nickname?

Funny you should mention Gotti.  I was thinking about him the other day.  Back in the 90's Gotti lived in the Queens neighborhood of Howard Beach, and every year on the 4th of July he'd do a fireworks show for the neighbors.  It was illegal, but the cops looked the other way.

In those days I lived Briarwood, Queens,  in a 6th floor apartment overlooking the Van Wyck Expressway.  If I stood on the balcony and looked south, I could see all the way to JFK Airport, and that view included Howard Beach.  On the 4th of July I'd be able to see fireworks all over the area, including (I assumed) Gotti's show.

But to answer the question, no, I do not have any sort of nickname or pet name.


9) Random question  -- What subject do you wish you knew more about?

Some day, when I have the time, I'd like to learn more about opera, and art, and astronomy, and ... well, I always enjoyed being a student, and I want to learn so many things,




Comments

  1. There are quite a few Gotti stories this week!

    Pistachio. I haven't had that in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have a second Gotti story. I’d forgotten until I started reading everyone else’s responses. Remember Growing Up Gotti? It aired in 2004-2007. The family lived on Long Island. I never watched the show, but I understand that one of the kids was in high school at the time. He went to a Catholic high school ... we have a lot of them around here ...my daughters were also in high school at the time, and one of my daughters had a lot of friends at St. Anthony’s. She met one of the Gotti boys while hanging out with her friends.

      Delete
  2. very different childhood from mine in Florida... I enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pistachio ice cream.
    Which reminds me I usually make a quart each of ice cream this time of the year when peaches, blueberries and cherries are in season. Maybe this year I will add pistachio ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is super interesting about Gotti! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm embarrassed by how many streaming services I get...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still get the print newspaper (two of them, actually). But I'm a former news reporter so I guess I would.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen Hunt looks so young in that picture. . .

    I did love that show, too, but it was during my retail days, so I didn't follow shows as much as I have before and since. Interesting pick for this week's questions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It been years ago since I waited tables. And I could tell you tells about them. I behave myself when I go out and eat...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday