Saturday 9 - Buttered Popcorn




Buttered Popcorn






Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!


Saturday 9: Buttered Popcorn (1961)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This Saturday, the treat's on Sam. Will you have buttered popcorn, caramel corn or cheese popcorn?

Depends on my mood.  At the movies it must be buttered popcorn but I do like caramel corn.

2) This record represents the Supremes as they are seldom heard. Florence Ballard is singing lead, with background vocals provided by Mary Wilson, Barbara Martin and Diane Ross. That's right, "Diane." Her parents meant for her to be named "Diane," and that's what old friends and family still call her, but the hospital mistakenly put her name down as "Diana." Motown execs thought "Diana Ross" had a better sound and the rest, as they say, is history. Do you often make typos? Or are you careful and precise at the keyboard?

Spell check is  my friend.

3) Barbara Martin left the Supremes in 1962, before they reached stardom, because she was a new mom and wanted to stay home with her baby. Have you ever found yourself in the difficult position of having to choose between your personal and professional lives?

When I graduated from law school I thought I wanted to be a trial attorney.  You know, in court all the time, always on the go.  Then I got married and had a baby, and had to readjust my work/life balance.  

4) Florence Ballard's cousin, Hank, wrote the famous Chubby Checkers dance record, "The Twist." When did you last get on your feet and dance?

New Year's Eve.  We were at an Italian restaurant and there was a DJ.

5) Mary Wilson stayed with the group until it disbanded in 1977. She has said that one of her most memorable moments came in 1968, when the group performed for Princess Margaret. Mary recalled that the Princess loudly asked if Mary's hair was real or a wig. Mary was shocked, expecting better behavior from a royal. Tell us a time when someone's behavior shocked you.

Every day when I watch the news on TV...how low we have sunk ....


6) In 1961, when this song was released, the TV show Hazel premiered and was a top 5 hit for NBC. Oscar winner Shirley Booth played the title character, a very capable and lovable maid. If Crazy Sam could have a maid for just a few hours today, she'd love to have her refrigerator cleaned and kitchen cabinets organized. If you could have a pair of helping hands around your house this afternoon, what would you ask the maid to do? 

Get rid of the clutter!

7) Also in 1961, President John F. Kennedy appeared on the cover of Time as their Man of the Year. Are there any magazines in your home right now? If so, who is on the cover?

I read magazines on my nook.  The only magazine I have right now shows two "one pot meals" on the cover.

8) Ernest Hemingway died in 1961. Have you read any of his works?

I minored in English.  Of course I read Hemingway.

9) Random question: How many pancakes are in the perfect stack?

Four.

Comments

  1. So far, you're our first 4-pancake lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I mangle a word so bad that spell checker doesn't know what I am trying to spell. In those cases I use Google and verbally say the word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the news and people's behavior. It is sad really. Loved you answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stopped watching the news. I just can't take it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watch the news because I feel it's important to know what is going on in the world, but it depresses me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The link to the song doesn't work. This one did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLfwo8luyZk

    They should have let Flo sing more...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The news is awful. FB is like diving into a the 7th layer of Dante's Inferno. I want to not see but it is like the day Dale Earnhardt died in a race at Daytona; you knew he was dead but you couldn't stop watching. Only now it's like that all the time. Every single minute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How low have we sunk? I'm afraid to ask if we could possibly get any lower. I have this feeling 2020 would say "Hold my beer."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I type fast, but when I'm trying to be accurate, I'm not. I bet I'm not alone in this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday