Wordless Wednesday




 Ready for the season


Let me call your attention to the pumpkins.

The one in the foreground is a souvenir of my recent trip to the Corning Glass Museum.

The one in the background, the jar filled with candy corn …

There’s a story behind it.

Back in the early 90’s, when Jen and Becca were toddlers, we lived in a two bedroom apartment off the Van Wyck Expressway in Queens, NY.  Every morning I’d pack up the girls, walk them to day care, then walk to the subway and head into Manhattan for work.  Sometimes I’d stop at the Dunkin’ Donuts on Queens Blvd to grab a cup of coffee before I got on the train.

Well, one autumn, Dunkin’ ran a promotion…spend a certain amount of money and you’d be eligible to buy a glass cookie jar for $5.  I spent more than the requisite amount,  but every time I tried to buy a jar, they’d be out of stock.

I’m very persistent.  It took multiple tries, but eventually I got my jar.

And I was devastated when, a few years later, the girls accidentally broke the lid. I thought I wouldn’t find another jar like it.  It was just a cheap glass jar, but I really, really liked it.

And then, one day … I was in the KMart at Penn Station…and saw a display of glass jars …




Comments

  1. Oooo... a glass museum! That must be interesting and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Second try. Beautiful pumpkins and I'm glad you found a replacement pumpkin. I ate some of the candy corn. Delicious.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one of the Corning glass pumpkins - an idea for next Wordless Wednesday? Enjoyed your story of the glass cookie jar. Too bad no K-Marts anywhere around here. A happy coincidence. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it's the thing that was hardest to get that we appreciate the most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cool looking Halloween stuff.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful glass for Halloween and delicious corn candy ~ Xo

    Living in the moment,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday