Two Divided by Love - the Saturday 9

Two Divided by Love (1971)


Unfamiliar with this week's song? You can hear it here.

1) Sam's teacher told her she'd use math every day. What's the last math problem you solved? (Did you add to/subtract from the balance of your checkbook ... use division to figure out how much you'd save with 25% off that sweater ...)

I use basic arithmetic every day at work.  I need to review each plaintiff's claimed damages -- what was spent on doctors, hospitals, lost wages, etc. -- in order to decide what I should offer to settle the case.


2) The lyrics tell us that if you take away the rain from a flower, the flower just won't grow. Do you have any indoor houseplants? Could they use a drink of water this morning?

All my house plants died.
3) This week's artists, The Grass Roots, are introduced in this video by country music superstar Kenny Rogers. Who is your favorite country music singer?

I'm really not into country music, but I do like some artists.  Had the pleasure of seeing Kenny Rogers on his last tour before he retired.
4) The two unmarried members of the group -- guitarist Warren Entner and drummer Ricky Coonce -- competed for a lady's affection on a 1968 episode of The Dating Game. Neither of them won! She chose Bachelor #1. Anyway, have you ever appeared on a game show? Do you know anyone who has?

I've never been on a game show, but I know someone who was on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and two people who were on Jeopardy!
5) The Grass Roots were originally called The 13th Floor. They chose this cheeky name because many high rises do not have a 13th floor since 13 is considered an unlucky number, and they were thumbing their noses at superstition. Are you superstitious?

Not really.  I mean, I pay attention to superstitions, I think they're fascinating, but do I believe something bad will happen if I break a mirror?  No.

6) At the time of his death in 2011, group leader Rob Grill was still playing music, touring with a reconfigured Grass Roots. His widow Nancy referred to him as "one lucky son of a gun" because he'd been able to support himself as a musician, doing what he loved for 45 years. In what ways do you consider yourself fortunate?

I'm fortunate that I got to see Rob Grill perform.   The last time I saw him, he sang most of the songs while sitting on a bar stool because he was in too much pain to stand, but he was wonderful.

Seriously, among the reasons I am fortunate is that I have the ability to see live performances of all my favorite artists.  
7) In 1971, the year this song was released, Walt Disney World opened in Florida. The Epcot Center was added in 1982. Have you ever visited this, or any, Disney theme park?

I have been to Walt Disney World many times.  The first time was in 1987, the most recent in 2019.  Yes, I am a fan.

8) Fresh chicken was just 43¢/lb. in 1971. Do you prefer the breast or drumstick?

The breast, of course.

9) Random question: Do you work well under pressure?

If I didn't work well under pressure I would never have survived in my chosen career.

Comments

  1. I agree with the last question. Same with my chosen career path, smiles. Have a great day, are you sure you don't want me to send you some of this fantastic snow? (lol and ducking)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, you don’t have to bother, I’ll make do without any of the white stuff

      Delete
  2. I had such a crush on Rob Grill! Really, I think I had his picture in my locker. I think it was the mustache. Anyway, I think it's very cool that you got to see him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know who Rob Grill is and had never heard this song, so I guess I missed out on something here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reminding me of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire." I forgot a good friend was on that show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Math me...sometime surprise my self, last time balance a check was way back in early 80's I must learn something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not much of a country fan either, but I do love Kenny Rogers and my answer was Garth Brooks. I also love Dolly! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed the grass roots but never heard this particular song. Nice you got to see Grill in person!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use math every day, too. Sometimes in class, sometimes for knitting.

    I used to live 2 mi from Disneyland. It's amazing how often you don't go when you live that close. (We'd manage once a year, but it wasn't nearly as expensive as it is now.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday