Another this and that

It’s so good to see men in blue and orange uniforms on a baseball diamond...so good to hear Gary Cohen, Ron Darling and Keith Hernandez in the broadcast booth...even if it’s only spring training.  Let’s Go Mets!

Last week there was a clue on Jeopardy! about a catcher discovered by Tommy Lasorda in 1989 who wound up in the Hall of Fame.  Drew and I both shouted “Mike Piazza” but none if the contestants knew the answer. How embarrassing for the contestant from Queens, NY...

There’s a new restaurant Drew has been dying to try, so on Saturday we ventured out to.  Fogo de Chao, a Brazilian churrasqueria.  You can order an entree from the regular menu, or you can go for the “experience”, an all-you-can-eat feast of flame grilled beef, lamb, pork and chicken.  The meats are brought to your table, and you also get the salad bar (which has an interesting array of fruits and vegetables: I tried star fruit for the first time), feijoada ( the Brazilian national dish, it’s a stew of black beans and pork or sausage, served over white rice), and interesting side dishes (we skipped the polenta and mashed potatoes, and got an order of caramelized bananas).  I drank Prosecco and Drew had sangria.  Maybe next time I’ll be brave enough to order a   Cachaca cocktail.  We were too full to even look at a dessert menu.

One of the reasons Brazilian food is high on Drew’s list...his Aunt P grew up in Rio, holds dual American and Brazilian citizenship.  Aunt P is the one who introduced us to Brazilian cuisine.  Years ago she’d take us to a Brazilian restaurant on Restaurant Row in Manhattan.  They served steaks so large they overhung the plate ...I learned to love feijoada at that restaurant.

It’s Mardi Gras!  I used to have a lot of business contacts in NOLA, and every year they’d send us King Cake.  Honestly, the cakes look pretty but ... they’re not bad, but I’d prefer other cakes or pastries.  Still, it was fun to look for the “baby” ....

The other day Drew found an old photo, from our honeymoon.  We had a great honeymoon, a four day cruise to the Bahamas on the Big Red Boat (remember Premier Cruises?) followed by three days at Walt Disney World.  We had our picture taken with the ship’s captain.



Look at that curly hair!  Perms were very popular in 1987.

I was 27 and Drew was 29, and we thought we knew everything.  We were so young.  Who would have imagined that 33 years later ...



Sigh ....







Comments

  1. Wait, I am confused (nothing new, lol) I didn't know you and Drew were married? (slapping my forehead)

    Such a lovely photo. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The long, sad history of Drew and Robin includes a wedding and a divorce and a reconciliation.

      Delete
  2. My roommate has been pushing us to go try a Brazilian restaurant. I've been resisting.

    Ah, 1987. I remember it well. I was 16 and struggling through 11th grade...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Handsome couple! Do you still get perms? I gave up on them long ago. Made bad hair days even worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I stopped perming my hair in 1990. My older daughter was born in November 1990. Didn’t want to perm while I was pregnant.

      Delete
  4. Let's Go Mets!

    OMG, now I'm hungry! Have to keep this place in mind for a dining adventure with my friend Mandy sometime (TQ is a carnivore too but living out in the far reaches of Brooklyn and him working odd hours, dinners in Midtown don't work so well.

    I had a perm in 1983. I don't have any photographic evidence of that although there is probably some at my parents' place. Very fluffy though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin,

    I remember the day of curly perms. We grow wiser with time and experience. Wouldn't it be grand if we were wise as we are now, back then? Of course, that could be dampener on things we did but maybe our choices would've been better and sounder. Great throwback picture and memories!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday