Music Monday -- songs that tell a story

So, the theme I chose for this week is:

Songs that tell a story.  Example, “The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia”  by Vickie Lawrence is a story about a murder and a trial (and even has a plot twist).


Let's start with the example I gave when creating the topic.






This one sounds like a Civil War folk song, but was actually written by Robbie Robertson, a Canadian.




This next one is by Jimmy Buffett. He wrote the song about musician Eddie Balchowsky, a one-armed Spanish Civil War veteran he met while playing in Chicago. 




Nitty Gritty Dirt Band had the hit, but I like John Denver's version of this song:




Another "folk song", this one composed by Jimmy Driftwod and made famous by Johnny Horton.




I was always a fan of the late Harry Chapin.  The first time I saw him perform was at my high school.; he had a habit of performing free concerts at Long Island public schools.  The night he died (July 16, 1981), he was supposed to give a concert in Eisenhower Park on Long Island.  I was in the park when we learned he'd been killed in a car accident.

Harry was the consummate storyteller, even titled one of his albums Short Stories.

It was Harry who inspired this topic, so I'll give you two of his songs, one somewhat obscure, the other a top 40 hit.











Comments

  1. I loved Harry Chapin. I was so sad when he died. He was an amazing storyteller!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hitting my head--I forgot all about Music Monday. I loved Harry Chapin and even dare say Cat Stevens. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came close to using Harry Chapin's "Thirty Thousand Pounds of Bananas" but decided I had enough songs - I could have gone on for several posts! I had not heard "Mr. Tanner", it's a good song. I also enjoyed John Denver's Mr. Bojangles cover. Looks like we were thinking alike on a couple of these. Nice theme; enjoyed researching it. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice collection. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sad that Vicki Lawrence's singing career didn't go further. She has a nice voice. All good picks here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She recorded this song as a demo. Her husband wrote it. When they couldn’t sell it, she released the demo and had the hit. But I think she preferred acting.

      Delete
  6. Wow, this is a great collection of tunes for this collection for sure & holy cow I haven't heard, "The Battle of New Orleans" in years and I still know the words. hahaha My brother & I use to sing it together all the time. Thanks for bringing back great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robin,

    First thing first, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Yeah, I set a reminder so I'd be sure to pass on birthday greetings today. :) I'm a forever fan of John Denver. I loved his folk style mewsic! "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia" is such a spooky song but I always liked it. Great theme you came up with for this week, my dear. Have a boogietastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The night the lights went out in Georgia is such a beautiful song.We loved Jimmy Buffet too, the others we didn't know. Country songs are always going so deep into your soul, don't you think, Songbird😸Pawkisses for a Happy Day🐾😽💞

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday