Saturday 9 — buttons and bows

Buttons and Bows


Saturday 9: Buttons & Bows (1948)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

  
1) The lyrics extol the beauty of "rings and things and buttons and bows." When you're getting dressed, do you give much thought to accessorizing? 

I do like to wear jewelry.  I have some very good jewelry, but also a lot of costume pieces.  You’ll never see me without earrings.
2) Dinah Shore sings that she doesn't want to live where the cactus hurts her toes. Sam can sympathize, as she has a blister on one of her toes from where her winter boots rub. Do you have any aches and pains to report this morning?

You don’t want the full list.  Let’s just say My Stupid Knees are acting up.
3) Dinah was such a popular entertainer that people were surprised to learn she earned a degree in sociology from Vanderbilt University. What is something we'd be surprised to know about you?

I took a class in atmospheric science in college, and for a hot minute I wanted to change my major and become a meteorologist.





4) Dinah's was the best selling version of this song, which was introduced by Bob Hope in the movie The Paleface. Hope had success early in his career as a song-and-dance man on Broadway. Are you better at telling jokes, singing or dancing? 

I’d have to say jokes.  I love to sing, but people around me don’t like to listen.  And moving with grace has never been my forte.
5) Both Bob and Dinah donated their time to entertaining the troops in WWII. It was during a USO tour that Dinah met and fell in love with actor George Montgomery, who was serving in the Air Force. They were married for 20 years and had two children. Their daughter followed her parents into show business and became an actress. If a young person asked you for career advice, what would you tell them?

Choose something that interests you and that you’re good at.  Don’t allow other people’s expectations to make your decision for you.
6) Dinah was an avid golfer and even sponsored an LPGA tournament. She was also an excellent cook who hosted TV cooking segments. Which would you find more relaxing -- an afternoon on the golf course or in the kitchen?

I don’t play golf. But if we can substitute miniature golf, I’m there.
7) In 1948, the year this record was a hit, Scrabble was introduced. Do you prefer word games, card games, board games or jigsaw puzzles?

They’re all fun.  

8) Also in 1948, LPs (33 1/3 rpm records) were introduced. Do you have any vinyl records in your home?



Not anymore.  We held onto my dad’s extensive collection until the basement flooded and ruined all the records.
9) Random question -- Which of these would you consider the greatest insult: to be called boring, untrustworthy or stupid?

Do not call me stupid.




Comments

  1. I like miniature golf, too! The windmill ... the clown's nose ... the little water hazard ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not call me stupid either, misguided, maybe {{wink}}. I really dislike labels that people put on one another...and you will never catch me either without earrings or lipstick ((just saying)), smiles.

    Have a great Saturday, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, awful about the records! I think I played miniature golf once. I never played the real deal but I always wanted to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #3 is very cool! I can not do the math it would take to be a meteorologist, but I think it is a super cool profession!
    #8, that is so sad! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great answer for #5. Enjoyed my visit.. Have a grand day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you remember the "Frasier" episode where he sang this and forgot half the words?

    Re #2: A friend of mine once said that if it ain't hurtin' it ain't workin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it ain’t hurting ...then I guess I’m working just fine.

      Loved Frazier but I don’t remember the episode.

      Delete
  7. I would play mini-golf with you! Much better than the kitchen or the golf course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed your answers. We had many the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You love to sing, but nobody wants to listen. Story of my life. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think my father ended up with all the vinyl records. He might still have them someplace.

    I'd consider boring to be a compliment :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A