Rest in Peace

Issur Danielovich passed away yesterday at the age of 103.

Don’t know who that is?

You may know him better as Kirk Douglas. Yes, the star from Hollywood’s golden age was Jewish.

He was the son of Jewish immigrants from Belarus.  During his Hollywood days he all but abandoned his heritage, but reconnected with his Jewish faith after a near-death experience involving a helicopter crash.  He celebrated his bar mitzvah at age 83. (Scripture tells us that a man’s lifetime is 70 years; it has become custom for a man to celebrate a second bar mitzvah at age 83).  He brought himself back from a debilitating stroke.

He won many honors and awards in his lifetime, most notably the Medal of Freedom for his support of Hollywood writers in the McCarthy era. He also received Kennedy Center honors and a lifetime achievement Oscar.

He was a noted philanthropist, donating huge sums to schools, theaters, religious institutions, etc. in Israel and the United States,

Last night I watched an episode of that old TV show, Touched By An Angel.  The episode, “Bar Mitzvah”, starred Douglas as Ross Burger, a stroke survivor whose grandson’s bar  mitzvah is approaching, and whose son is dying of an inoperable brain tumor.    I loved how well crafted the episode was, how all the details about the religious practices and rituals were correct.  I loved seeing Douglas don a tallit and lay tefillin, loved hearing him recite portions of the Hebrew prayers.  Of course I cried, that show was pure schmaltz.

May his memory remain for a blessing.

Comments

  1. He was an amazing man. I always loved his acting and I followed his stroke and his recovery, and his return to his faith. What an amazing spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that was his name. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was his name. His parents came from Belarus. My grandparents also came from Belarus.

      Delete
  3. I was so sad to hear of his passing. A true legend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the great ones. Rather than be sorry about his death, I'm happy that he lived (and for a good long time).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s why it’s a Jewish custom to say “may his memory remain for a blessing”. My Rabbi says that we should remember how the deceased lived and how he brought joy to our lives.

      Delete
  5. Robin,

    We got the mews about Kirk Douglas' passing last night. I thought for some reason he was dead because the last time I heard anything about him he was in bad health. He sure had a long life. I am glad that he reconnected with God. It's hard to not be sad but healing comes when we celebrate a person's life. This brings those left behind great joy and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. May his memory remain for a blessing. One of the great ones. Farewell, Spartacus. I knew he was Jewish but had forgotten his family was from Belarus. My father's parents immigrated from Belarus. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think half of the Jewish population of Belarus moved here ...

      Delete
  7. May he rest in peace and we all take an example from him on being a good being

    ReplyDelete
  8. A better way to spend your time than watching for even one moment the obscenities of the so-called National Prayer Breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it was ...an interesting occasion. Prayer breaksfasts are supposed to unite us, not cause stress.

      Delete
  9. Wow! this is Amazing! Do you know your hidden name meaning ? Click here to find your hidden name meaning

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday