Happy February!

It's a new month, the shortest month of the year, although this year February is just a tad bit longer than normal.

(Interesting concept, leap year.  A plot point for my favorite G & S light opera.  But more about that later this month.)

Drew's birthday is the 7th, mine is the 18th, and of course there's Valentine's Day.  So we'll be doing a lot of celebrating. We go out to eat fairly frequently, and in February we seems to spend more time in restaurants than we do at home -- do you know  how many chain restaurants give you a free meal/appetizer/dessert on your birthday?

I'm celebrating a milestone birthday this year, and I guess that's put me in a contemplative mood: the passage of time, and what does it all mean?

And then, one of my favorite DJ's passed away earlier this week.  Harry Harrison was a NYC radio icon, first at WMCA, then at WABC during its heyday, and finally at oldies station WCBS-FM.  Harry was known as "the morning Mayor" because he did the weekday drive time.  Listening to Harry was like listening to an old friend.

And I am reminded of Harry's sage advice:


“Every brand new day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.” – Harry Harrison

I'll try to do that, Harry.  I'll try.

Comments

  1. A very Happy Birthday to Drew and too you, smiles. Have a great Saturday, friend. smiles

    (and agreeing with Harry)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I doubt I'll remember, happy birthday in advance! Of course, frequently the free dessert at the casual dining places comes with the staff gathering and singing "Happy birthday" or something similar. Depending on the dessert, it could be worth it.

    We have a couple of February birthdays in my family. Dad's was the 15th and two of my nephews were born that month. One of them and his wife are expecting their first very shortly. If things work out for him the way they do a lot in my family, the kid'll be born either the day before or after him.

    Never heard Harry Harrison, but from what you tell me here I'd say he was a DJ from the heyday of Top 40 radio, and we've lost so many of them by now. Sorry to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the birthday wishes.

      Harry was one iof WMCA Good Guys in the early 1960’s. I started listening to him on WABC in tha late 60’s and early 70’s. He was inducted into the Radio Hall if Fame last year.

      Delete
  3. Robin,

    February will no doubt fly right out the window with it being the shortest month of the year even though its a day longer this year. I'm sorry to read the mews of your favorite DJ passing. Life is fragile. We realize this more and more as time goes by, don't we?

    Thanks for stopping by earlier to vote in my Piece of My Heart #BoTB showdown 3rd round. Have a good weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had not heard of Harry Harrison's passing, and I am saddened. Growing up in New York City in the 50's and 60's, I certainly remember him and am saddened. I blogged a tribute to Dan Ingram (remember him?) when he passed, I'll have to do one Tuesday for Harry Harrison. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, I'll also jump in here and say that Harry Harrison actually started radio at WCFL in Chicago, starting as a summer replacement in 1953 but staying a total of eight months, before moving on to Peoria and, finally, New York City (where he reigned for over 40 years.) Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The WABC lineup was Harry Harrison in the morning, Ron Lundy at midday, Dan Ingram for afternoon drive time, and Bruce Morrow a/k/a Cousin Brucie in the evenings. Morrow is still on the radio, he does a show for SiriusXM, but the others have all passed away.

      Delete
  6. Hope all of your February goes as plan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday month. Did you know in Roman times they inserted the leap day between the 24th and 25th day?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A