Another this and that


I felt so bad for my daughters the other night.  Becca decided to treat Jen to a night of theater, so she bought tickets to see Dear Evan Hansen.  Jordan Fisher recently took over the lead, and both girls were excited to see him in the show.   So Jen left work early to go into the city to meet Becca.  They had dinner at John's Times Square  (Jen's favorite pizza place) and then headed over to the theater -- only to find out Jordan Fisher was ill and the understudy would be performing that night.  They decided to exchange the tickets for another performance.  Jen was very upset. But the leftover pizza was a good consolation prize.

Baseball is back!  Mets pitchers and catchers report to spring training tomorrow, the first full squad workout is the 17th, and the first game is the 22nd.  I'm excited for the new season, despite all the managerial woes. (Though I hope the Wilpons get their act together soon!) Let's Go Mets!

My Long Island Ducks (the 2019 Atlantic League champs!) won't begin spring training for awhile, their regular season doesn't start until May.  But it will be an exciting season, I am sure.

The other day I can across this scene near 40 Wall Street:




At first I thought it was political, given the location, but it turned out to be a union demonstration regarding a labor dispute. Down here in the Financial District you see a lot of demonstrations...

Hollywood on Water Street returned last week.  Law and Order:SVU  did some filming near my office Wednesday.  I saw trailers and video equipment, but didn't see any of the actors.  I haven't watched that show in years, but it would have been interesting to see Mariska Hargitay.

In its heyday, the original Law & Order would frequently  film outside the New York County Courthouse at 60 Centre Street:




Occasionally I'd come out of the courthouse after attending to my business, only to find the center portion of the stairs -- the part with the handrails -- blocked off by a camera crew. A real pain...Though I did get a glimpse of Sam Waterson and Steven Hill once....

Yeah, I do work in an interesting neighborhood, don't I?






Comments

  1. You certainty do (grin). I use to watch that show, but grew fed up with it when they started getting political. I often wonder what it would be like to live in a big city--probably eat me alive, LOL (that is a disparaging thought).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the city, but I am also very very happy with the relative quiet of my suburban home. My daughter Becca, on the other hand, chose her college (Fordham), in part because it meant living in the city, got an apartment in the city as soon as soon after graduation as she could manage it, and currently resides on the East Side.

      Delete
  2. Robin,

    It has to be interesting to work in NYC. I'd love to visit someday but honestly the thoughts of actually doing it intimidates me just a bit because I know it's going to way too fast pace for me with the busy sidewalks. I have personal space issues, so I don't think I'd be too uptight to enjoy my time in the city. :( I'm sorry things didn't work out like the girls wanted but maybe they'll catch a break next time. Pizza is always a nice consolation prize!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's odd to see places you know on screen. I know there was a show that filmed around where I live, and it was funny how they repurposed locations. (I knew the actual area was around a hotel, but it was some other location on the show.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Last year, when Manifest filmed around here, they turned a bank into a talk show studio...Drew is pretty good at spotting local NYC/LI landmarks that have been purposed.

      Delete
  4. Yup, a very interesting neighborhood. The city never sleeps. Wow, I want to power wash the steps on the justice building.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday