Consider the egg cream...

A postcard came in the mail....



Come to Bob Howard’s. Get a gift for your birthday.

We went on “free egg cream day.”  Once a year, on the Saturday before Valentines Day, Bob Howard’s provides free egg creams to all its customers.

Bob Howard’s bills itself as a candy store and toy store, but what they really sell is nostalgia.  

The first time I went to Bob Howard’s was in 2018.   Went back last year, took lots of pictures.

This year we took some friends with us.  They were amazed.

We were given pretzel rods and egg creams when we walked into the store.

“What is an egg cream?” you might ask.




Milk, seltzer and Fox’s U-Bet chocolate syrup.  Sweet, frothy heaven.

And if there was a heart at the bottom of the cup, you’d win a prize.  

My friend B won a coffee mug.

They had an interesting collection of toys and candy this year.










Baby Boomer heaven.

They even carry bubblegum cigars and candy cigarettes.



There’s an old fashioned popcorn vending machine that really works, and customers were treated to popcorn as well.

I bought a ton of stuff.  And they threw in a few extras, like a candy bracelet and a candy lipstick.  My postcard was exchanged for a small game.

Here’s my haul.








That piece of Bazooka is the original flavor, not the reformulated version you find in stores today.

And I was very happy to find the a Regal Crown sour cherry hard candy.

Interestingly, while we were driving to the store, we spotted this on the road:




 That is a 1968 Dodge Charger.  Talk about nostalgia!

Sigh...it’s like revisiting my childhood...

Comments

  1. What a fun place to visit. smiles

    A very happy birthday to you both smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That egg cream sounds great. I thought there was an actual egg in it, which sounded gross.

    To me, that's what heaven looks like. There was a little store across the street from my grammar school that sold all that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you are part of their target audience.

      Egg cream, a drink with neither egg nor cream, a NYC tradition.

      Delete
  3. How fun. Looks like a great haul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recall all that stuff. I had gummy and poking toys and in afternoon there was cartoon of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had Gumby and Pokey too, played with them while watching the show

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday