Reading challenge update -- Dragon's Code

Dragon's Code: Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern (Pern: The Dragonriders of Pern) by [McCaffrey, Gigi]

Gigi McCaffrey's first entry into the world of Pern.  This novel is built around the same events as The White Dragon, one of the first novels in the series, but tells the story from the viewpoint of other characters.

The main character in this story is Piemur.  Anne McCaffrey first introduced us to Piemur (in Dragonsinger) as  a young apprentice in the Harper Hall, known for his beautiful voice.  Over the next few novels of the series, we watched Piemur grow up  to become a journeyman Harper, an explorer, and a student of the technological wonder known as AIVAS.

Gigi McCaffrey's novel takes us back to Piemur's adolescence.  It is a coming-of-age story, in which Piemur struggles with his identity and his future goals.

But, being a Pern novel, it also concerns itself with the strife and stresses of Pernese culture, the conflict between the Oldtimer Dragonriders and the leadership of the modern Benden Weyr, and the problems of the "holdless" men who have no place in the carefully organized society.

A running theme of the novel is the protection of Lord Jaxom. Jaxom is an anomaly in Pernese society, both a Lord Holder and a Dragonrider.  Several of Jaxom's exploits are plot points in this story.  However, Jaxom, the hero of The White Dragon, never makes an appearance in Dragon's Code.

A word about style.  It was clear, from chapter one, that while Gigi was raised on her mother's works, she isn't completely comfortable taking over Anne's role.  For example, there was a lot of exposition, where the author provided background details that readers of the series would have assumed without being told.

But overall I enjoyed the story, and I look forward to seeing another Pern novel from Gigi, should she care to write one.

queued up on my Kindle:  The Dolphins of Pern by Anne McCaffrey.

Comments

  1. I enjoyed the first two or three Pern novels Anne McCaffrey wrote and then...I don't know, it lost its charm. I did read The White Dragon enough years ago to not remember all that much; I think my husband may have bought a trilogy from the Science Fiction Bookclub. Gigi knows she has big shoes to fill, so to speak, and she may need to find herself. I might give this book a chance, and since it's written as you describe, I may not need to go back and read some of the original works to refresh my knowledge of that world. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew her son was writing some, but I didn't realize her daughter was too. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday