book challenge update

Before I talk about the book I'm reading, you need to know a little bit about me.

I was 14 years old when Richard Nixon resigned the presidency.  Just three days before the resignation, my family and I spent a day as tourists in Washington, DC. 

I think that's when my interest in politics began.  I started college in the fall of 1978 expecting to major in political science.  Loved the subject, hated the professors, so I wound up switching my major to History and my minor to English. In the spring of my senior year I had a full time internship in the New York State Assembly.  And then I went to law school.

You can see where this is going.

I'm still reading this:



The President Is Missing: A Novel by [Patterson, James, Clinton, Bill]

I am nowhere near finished with this book.  Problem is, with the history being made around us right now, the exploits of a fictional president aren't holding my attention the way the Washington Post and the New York Times are captivating me. And there are only so many hours in a day.

But with the Jewish holidays coming up, with the enforced "quiet time" that goes along with it, I'm sure to catch up on my fiction.

Comments

  1. When the Watergate scandal broke, I was in college in the Bronx (commuter college), and I remember the summer of 1973, working in Manhattan downtown near City Hall. When not reading a book (and I read lots of them during my one hour each way commute) I was reading headlines of papers other straphangers were reading (with the latest revelation. And, of course, there was no social media back then so the discussion was on other levels. Many memories are coming back, and although I'm not normally that interested in politics (the last two years an exception!) my husband is - and right now I think I'm as glued to Rachel Maddow as he is. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm remembering the days before cable TV and social media.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what happens when you live in interesting times...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday