Music Monday

No use trying to hide it.  I guess I'll have to admit it.

Let me take a deep breath.  Getting myself ready.

OK, here goes.








I am a fanilow.

Yes, I like Barry Manilow, and yes,  I've actually seen Barry Manilow perform live, once at Radio City, and then at his one-man show on Broadway.

He's been on my mind recently; he was back on Broadway this summer for another one-man show.

So today I am presenting some of my favorite Manilow songs.

His first big hit, "Mandy", was actually a cover of a Scott English tune; English called the song "Brandy", but Manilow changed the name to avoid confusion with a song by The Looking Glass.





And then there was "Could It Be Magic".  He'll often sing this one and "Mandy" as a medley.






He paints quite a romantic picture:





And then there is his ability to tell a story through song:





Then there was his "Very Strange Medley", songs he wrote or performed that you probably didn't know were his:






Manilow has written many songs, but ironically this hit song was written by someone else:




So now I have admitted my membership in geekdom.  I hope you enjoyed my playlist.

Comments

  1. I too am a Manilow-a holic! I have been all my life. Why do you think I named my daughter, Mandy? Another of his song I love is This Ones For You. Great tune.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin,

    I always liked Barry Manilow and every time I think of him, I think of my 10th grade English teacher. She had a ginormous crush on him. Poor woman didn't stand a chance with the guy since he prefers same-sex relationships. I bet that news crushed her. I always wonder what became of Miss S. Oddly, she looked a little like Barry or that's what I thought then but I wonder if I'd think that today. Thanks for sharing some great mewsic from the 70s & 80s with one of my favorite artists! Have a boogietastic week, dearie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barry hasn't had a record on the charts in 30+ years, but God bless him, he's still out there plugging away, and people still love him. You have to admire someone like that. His songs were ubiquitous in the '70's; it seemed like anytime you put the radio on, there he was. His music was pleasant enough that I wasn't spinning the dial looking for something else. Good choice today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some pure classics. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh... 'Fanilow' - I love it! Great song choices! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you can't go wrong with Barry Manilow!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We can't all have the same taste in music or the concerts we want to go to would all be sold out! Yep, I've been to the Copa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had the Barry Manilow Greatest Hits album (LP, dating myself) and have enjoyed all of these songs - except for the VSM, which...gosh, I didn't know Manilow wrote any of these. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday