Music Monday




Another free choice week.

I'm going to mellow out this week with singer songwriters.

I was 15 years old the first time I saw Harry Chapin perform.  He came to my Long Island high school, just a short distance from his home in Huntington, NY.  And I was in Eisenhower Park on July 16, 1981, the night he died on the Long Island  Expressway en route to the concert.  Instead of one of his top 40 hits, let me play "All My Life's a Circle", which I think is one of his best:




Jim Croce...I was just starting to really like him when he died in that plane crash.  Which makes this song even more poignant.




Gordon Lightfoot, another favorite:




So before we get completely depressed here, let's play some feel-good John Denver:




And we will close it out with some Jimmy Buffett:


Comments

  1. One of the women in my work area went to a Jimmy Buffet concert over the weekend. I understand from her that they are huge tailgate events. "Come Monday" is possibly my favorite song of his. Harry Chapin - not much I can say about him except I didn't know this particular song and it has such meaningful lyrics. A very nice mellow set for a Monday when we need just that. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin,

    You picked some really excellent mellow tunes to soothe the soul for this Monday. Jim Croce, Gordon, Lightfoot, and John Denver are three of my favorites. Thanks for sharing with the 4M crew and for joining us on the dance floor. Have a boogietastic week, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I was listening to these, I realized that three of these guys are no longer with us. It's good that they left us their music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got some real classic songs here. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TW saw Harry Chapin a million times. Her brother was the fan. He came and played a local theatre; one of only 2 name performers to play there. Another time was the play "What Made America Famous" that he performed on Broadway. One of the local stations still does World Hunger Year radiothons every year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you could come over and my husband would be playing his acoustic guitar he would be strumming so many of these tunes. I'd say 80% of them... and yes he sings them too. It's a good release for him considering he hasn't been feeling good. Thank you for posting these tunes. Hubby has picked up his guitar again. Have a rockin' week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dolly, I’m glad he picked up his huitar. I’m jealous of his ability.

    John, I know, it’s sad, especially because they all died so young.

    Alana, Buffett w at Jones Beach last week. I don’t go anymore because I can’t find a place to park...all that tailgating.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday