Vietnam Veterans Memorial

In a quiet plaza at  55 Water Street, you'll come upon this sight:



This unassuming green glass wall is The New York City Vietnam Veterans Memorial.  Dedicated in 1985 (with a ticker tape parade down Broadway, the Canyon of Heroes), the plaza was refurbished in 2000-2001.

What's so special about the green glass wall?

Come, let me show you.





Those are the words of the men and women who served in Vietnam, taken from letters home to family and friends.

There are honor plaques as well




It's a quiet, dignified memorial.  Worth a visit if you're in lower Manhattan.

Comments

  1. Thank you. I will visit that sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. We are 6 hrs west of NYC. NYC is on my bucket list; Holiday window shopping, Rockefeller Center, The memorials...all of it. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to go back to lower Manhattan one day. When we were in NYC over Christmas we had the Government shutdown but if I had known about this I might have made the trip. It will have to wait for "one day". I don't think I have been in lower Manhattan since "The Waterfalls". Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am amazed at the treasures I find near my office

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know about this one. I had heard of the one with all the names. I did not realize there was another.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday