sad anniversary

Yesterday was the 40th anniversary of the death of Thurman Munson.

Munson was a catcher for the NY Yankees, and was also the team's captain.


He died in a plane crash.  He'd purchased a small plane so that he could fly home to Ohio whenever the Yankees had a day off. He crashed while trying to land te plane.

I think his death crushed the Yankees.  They'd won the 1978 World Series, but wouldn't win another for 17 years.

I remember hearing the news over the car radio ...

I was 19 that summer.  I'd just finished my freshman year at State University of New York (SUNY) at Albany. I had a summer job at Robert Moses State Park, and I was taking 6 credits at SUNY Stony Brook -- classes that were in my major but were not offered at Albany.

I was driving home from Stony brook when I heard the news.  I cried.

The memorial at Yankee Stadium the following day:










Comments

  1. I find it hard to believe it's been 40 years. Where has the time gone? Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday