Wednesday Medley



Terri's questions this week are sky high.


National Ride the Wind Day August 23

NATIONAL RIDE THE WIND DAY 

Enjoy the last days of summer and the warm summer breezes on August 23 as you celebrate the annual National Ride the Wind Day.
National Ride The Wind Day commemorates the anniversary of the first human-powered flight to win the Kremer prize.
It was on August 23rd of 1977 that the Gossamer Condor 2,  flew the first figure-eight course specified by the Royal Aeronautical Society, at Minter Field in Shafter, California.  Slowly cruising at only 11 mph, it traveled a distance of 2,172 meters.
The Gossamer Condor 2 was built by Dr. Paul B MacCready and piloted by amateur cyclist and hang-glider pilot Bryan Allen.
The Gossamer Condor 2 aircraft is preserved at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum.
We all know that cooler air is right around the corner so take advantage of these nice days and get outside as much as possible. Test out those human-powered aircraft and make some history. summer breezes allow us to fly human-powered. In the event you lack a human-powered aircraft, flying a kite is always a good back plan.
Everything above this line is from the National Day Calendar.
1.  Tell us about the first airplane ride you took and do you like to fly?
I was 12 years old, almost 13 actually, and my grandma took me and my sister to Miami Beach during Christmas break. the hotel catered to senior citizens --specifically Jewish seniors (the food was kosher). but there was a beach and a pool, and we had a lot of fun.  But I remember thinking, on that flight from JFK to Miami, that we were going to be hijacked to Cuba -- something that was a real risk in the early 1970's.
Since then I have flown many times, always on commercial aircraft.  The smallest plane I ever took was a jet to Lexington, KY -- business trip.  the largest was the 767 I flew from San Diego (another business trip).
I like flying.  
2.  Have you ever gone hang gliding and was it on the beach with boat power, or from a mountain with only the wind and your body?
Nope, not something I have any interest in doing...
3.  Have you ever gone kite flying and with whom?
I'm sure I must have flown a kite at least once in my life, but I really don't remember.
4.  Experimental aircraft is quite popular as a hobby where Terri lives.  Have you or anyone you know ever constructed a flying machine and did you ride in it?
That would be another "no".
5.  Another big hobby around Lakeland is Radio Controlled Airplanes.  Have you ever seen them flying or tried your hand at it?
That would be another "no".
6.  Please tell us something about your week.
If you think that the answers I've given today show a lack of interest in aircraft, you'd be mistaken.  I'm 45 minutes away from JFK International Airport, 50 minutes from La Guardia, 25 from Islip-MacArthur, and 10 from Republic Airport, and the skies above me are always full of conventional aircraft.  I love to watch the planes.  
Tomorrow we are headed over to Cit Field for a Mets game.  Citi Field is thisclose to La Guardia (see map--I was at Citi Field, and the area marked with the little blue plane is the airport) and I will, no doubt, spend some of my time looking at planes....





Comments

  1. I love looking at planes as well! Enjoy the game, and plane watching! Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be watching the planes, too because it takes forever for something to happen during a baseball game. LOL I used to LOVE going to baseball games with my granddaddy when I was little. He was a Braves fan and so was I but my interest in the sport passed when he did. I think I enjoyed my time with him more than the game. Football, on the other hand...I'm still in front of the tv on Saturdays and Sundays during the season and am thrilled it's TIME!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to Cuba, long before it was legal, smiles...anyways...I like in person baseball games, not on TV...I prob. would be watching everything else but the game, LOLOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope my next new flying adventure will be in hot air balloon.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful perspective you've illustrated! Imagine it felt very weird in those days after 9/11 when the skies were empty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We live under the approach path for our local airport so we are always looking up, too.
    Your stadium looks a lot like PNC Park in Pittsburgh. Both are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy watching the planes too but have no desire to be in one. Thanks for joining the Medley today! I keep saying it is fun reading everyone's first plane ride stories and I mean it... it has been interesting! Enjoy the ballgame! Joe is watching his Phillies on TV tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Mevely, it was weird. The only pkabes we saw for days were military jets. Very scary,even all these years later

    ReplyDelete
  9. The days after 9/11 was my first thought, too. I was just a little kid. It seemed as if even the animals were quiet.

    When an airplane did fly over, immediately looking to the sky. A contrail. Thank God. It's one of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nope, you couldn't get my hang gliding either.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday