Fall Into Reading

Collette has issued a challenge:  how many books can you read this Fall?

Here's what she said:


It will run from September 1st - November 30th

The Challenge is super simple and there is still time to join in:

1.  Decide how many books you'd like to challenge yourself to read this Fall.  It can be 5, 10, 15, 20, ...etc.

2.  Create a post about the Challenge telling us how many books you are going to read, if you are picking out certain books you'd like to read or if you are going to freestyle it.  Make sure you put a link back to the Sign-up postso all your friends can join in!

3.  Come back to the Sign-up post and leave a comment with a link to your goal post.  I'll then add you to the Participant List.

4.  Visit the other participants' sign up posts

5.  Read, Read, Read!!!!



I am definitely up for the challenge!

Right now I am in the middle of reading a science fiction series, Anne McCaffrey's "Pern" books.  Pern is a planet orbiting Rukbat 3. The first novels, written in the 1960's, are set 2500 years after humans have colonized Pern.  

Pern has become an agrarian society  based on a medieval social structure.  "Holds" are the great estates, ruled by a Lord Holder, where most people live.  "Halls", run by Masters, assisted by  journeymen and apprentices, are dedicated to specific professions -- Healers, Harpers, Miners, etc.  And the third group of people are the Dragonriders, who live in weyrs with their dragons.  The dragons are used for protection from Thread -- a destructive invader from space, a parasite that consumes all organic matter

McCaffrey went on to write stories set in other eras of Pern history, including the original colonization of Pern.   Later she collaborated with her son Todd, and then Todd wrote several several novels on his own.  More recently, Anne's daughter Gigi has written a Pern novel.

I read some of the novels years ago, and recently picked up the series again.  I've read about 10 of the novels, and I think there are 16 more to go.   They're a quick read, I should be able to finish the series by the end of this challenge.


But there are other books I'd like to read.  Already loaded onto my Kindle is "The President Is Missing" by James Patterson and Bill Clinton.  Nelson DeMille has a book coming out in October ("The Deserter" centers on a search for an Army deserter who has fled to Venezuela after escaping duty in Afghanistan under strange circumstances.  I really liked Steve Berry's "The Malta Exchange", and I'd like to read more of his Cotton Malone novels.

If I need a break from Pern, I'm likely to pick up one or more of these novels. They take longer to read than the Pern books.

So let's make the goal 10 books.  

This is going to be fun!

Comments

  1. It been a while since I read a book.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Pern, but I think my favorite McCaffrey series was the one with the talents. What were those called...? It started with The Rowan, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never read that series, I'll have to put it on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't ever read that series and I am not sure it is the type of book that would interest me, but I may check into it soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A