The exciting life of the intrepid New Yorker

There are some kinds of excitement that make me happy.

And there are some kinds of excitement I can live without.

NYC had the latter kind yesterday.

You have to understand that the Fulton Street Station, in lower Manhattan, is a transit hub.  Three different subway lines intersect at Fulton Street -- the 8th Avenue line ("A" and "C"  trains), the Lexington Avenue line ("4" and "5" trains), and the 7th Avenue line (the "2" and "3" trains).

Yesterday,  around 7:30 in the morning, two suspicious packages  were discovered in the Fulton Street station, one on the mezzanine near the "2" and the "3", the other on the platform for the "2" and the "3".

Police investigated, and saw what appeared to be two pressure-cooker bombs.  They evacuated the station and rerouted the "2" and "3" subway trains..  The other two lines skipped the Fulton Street station.  There were also some street closures involved, around Fulton Street and William Street.

What "fun" for a Friday morning!

I normally take the "2" or the "3" to Wall Street, but there was no train service to that station.  I wound up taking the "E" to the World Trade Center and walking -- it's just under a mile from the Trade Center to my office  -- making sure to avoid Fulton Street.  Traffic on Water Street was horribly backed up...

New Yorkers are nothing if not flexible and resilient.

Oh, and the "bombs"  turned out to be harmless rice cookers. 

Police have video of the guy who left the rice cookers in the station, and they really want to talk to him...

Comments

  1. I'll tell you, folks are just loosing their minds, sigh. I don't think I could survive in a big city, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, fun morning...

    I forgot that the “J” And “M” line also goes to Fulton Street. A friend takes the “J” and had to backtrack when the train skipped Fulton.

    They caught the guy, he’s in custody. He harassed a whole city yesterday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I understand the man is in custody and he has an interesting past police record, among other things. I had wondered if anyone I knew from online or "real life" had been impacted once I knew it was the Fulton St. station (I lived on the #2 line when I lived in NYC, up in the Bronx). Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, he has quite a history...

    One of my coworkers was evacuated from the station — basically the cops told everyone to get out as fast as they could.

    I avoided most of that excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard about this on the news. To much craziness going on since Trump came to office.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes. Nothing like the fun in the city.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday