Wednesday Medley




This week Terri is focused on world War II.


NATIONAL V-J DAY – August 14 – 15 – Unofficial Observances

National VJ Day - August 14

NATIONAL V-J DAY (Victory over Japan Day)

National V-J Day on August 14th commemorates the day in 1945 when news broke around the world the Imperial Government of Japan would surrender ending a long a grueling world war. In Europe, the date was August 15 due to the time zone, but regardless, the celebrations that broke out were no less zealous.
Since 1939, the entire world had been enduring the strife of war. The first rumblings began in 1937 but by the end of 1941, the United States would join the war they had vowed remain out of. After the bombing of Pearl Harbor by Japan on December 7th, 1941, the United States declared war and fully supported all fronts.
Throughout the war effort, military personnel and civilians stood together to make the next 4 years a united front. Victory in Japan and the rest of the globe was a final goal.

HOW TO OBSERVE #VJDay

Learn about the war in the Pacific.Tour Pearl Harbor or read accounts of the efforts. Use #VJDay to share on social media.

NATIONAL VJ DAY HISTORY

In the United States, President Harry S. Truman announced it in a press conference at the White House later that day.  The peace treaty was officially signed on September 2, 1945.  A year later on August 2nd, Truman signed a proclamation declaring August 14, 1946, as Victory Day.
Everything above is from the National Day Calendar.

1.  I'm sure many kids today have no idea what V-J Day is all about.  Did you have a loved one who fought in WWII?
My father, of blessed memory, was a World War II veteran.  He served in the Army, as a clerk/typist, and was stationed in Italy.   Here are some photos of him in uniform, with his parents and other family members. I think this might  have been his "welcome home" party.







He told us many interesting stories of his time in the service. I'll tell you one.

He and two buddies had some leave time, so they went to see the Sistine Chapel.  A priest saw the three American soldiers and asked them if they wanted to meet the Pope.  Of course they said  "yes".  The other two men kissed the Pope's ring;  but my father, being Jewish, did not. Nevertheless, all three soldiers were given a rosary that had been blessed by the Pope.  My father took his rosary home to Brooklyn and gave it to a Catholic neighbor. The neighbor, as you can imagine, was thrilled with the gift.

2.  The iconic sculpture from the famous photograph of  "The Unconditional Surrender" has been defaced recently because of the #metoo movement. I know we can get very political about this subject, but just keeping it in the spirit for which it was created, what are your thoughts?

We saw the sculpture when it was on display in Times Square.  






As I understand it, the nurse in the iconic photo didn't have an objection to being kissed.  So I'm not about to go all #metoo on this image.  I'll save my outrage for another day.  
3.  Terri's grandson, Tristan, loved playing a game called "Axis & Allies".  It was quite complicated, took up the entire dining room table, and was not something Terri wanted to play (Grandpa understood it and played though).  Can you name three Axis countries and five of the many Allies (okay to look it up!)?

Well, now, I'm sort of  "ringer" here.  I majored in history, and in the summer of '79 I took a class all about WW II.  The Axis powers were Germany, Japan and Italy.  The Allies were the US, England, France, Norway, Denmark, Australia, Canada, the Soviet Union, China ...
4.  Terri was surprised to learn that most historians agree that WWII began when Germany invaded Poland on September 1, 1939. Others say it started when Japan invaded Manchuria on September 18, 1931. And some scholars suggest WWII is actually a continuation of WWI, with a break in between.  Have you ever visited Pearl Harbor in Hawaii or any other WWII memorials around the world?

After the Treaty of Versailles, which ended World War I, French General and military theorist Ferdinand Foch said "This is not a peace, it is an armistice for twenty years." He was proved to be correct.  

I have never been to Pearl Harbor, but I've been to the WW II Memorial on the National Mall.

5.  Calvin Graham was only 12 years old during WWII when he enlisted in the U.S. Navy. He won a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart before the Navy found out how old he was.  (God bless him.) Terri doesn't know any 12-year olds today who could qualify or get away with something like that.  Times are so very different now but (in the US) we do have ROTC in high schools.  Do you know anyone who started in ROTC and went on to enlist in one of the services?

What a brave young man!  I've known people my age who served in the in the military, but I don't think I've ever known someone who was in ROTC.  
6.  Please tell us something about your week so far.

Interestingly, the book I'm currently reading is Steve Berry's Malta Exchange. It's a spy thriller, set in modern times, but with a major connection to the events of WW II.  The novel begins with Benito Mussolini hiding secret documents just before he was captured and executed. 

Comments

  1. Wow! What a unique war story. Meeting the Pope is really something...even if you're not Catholic. Did the Pope offer any words of wisdom?

    I've always been in the crowd that feels WWII was simply a picking up of where WWI left off. All the time in between seems to have accomplished was giving Hitler time to gain power and backing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that story and the pictures of your dad. It must be a joy for you to recall him sharing these memories. The book sounds like something my husband and I would enjoy either reading or listening to. I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great story! I just finished reading Beneath the Scarlet Sky which took place in Milan, Italy. Very good book and I had never known much about Italy during WW2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What awesome photos and stories, smiles. Thanks for visiting me. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending a thank you for your dad service.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your visit. How lovely to have stories from your Dad about the war, especially the Pope story. My Dad served but didn't like to talk about it - he was one of those rescued from Dunkirk and I can only imagine how horrific that was - I couldn't bring myself to see the film.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw the film, Wendy, and can well imagine why your father was reluctant to share. My dad was not in combat, as far as I know, but was part of the force that occupied Italy after Mussolini was deposed.

    Thanks, Dora. When my dad died a few years ago, the Army sent an honor guard to the funeral. the Army doesn't forget.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What precious, precious memories and photos of your dad. I loved reading your story about him being in Rome. Those photos you took of the sculpture are great! Wow! Well done on the Axis and Allies! I had to look them up to be sure. Your current book sounds interesting! Thanks for joining the Medley today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My SIL's grandfather was at Pearl Harbor. He had a brother who served too. She says she has letters that the two wrote to each other throughout the war. One was in the Pacific theater, the other the European. She says it's a great snapshot of the war. I hope one day she gets around to publishing them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too love your story about our dad meeting the Pope.

    Fascinating photos, history, and stories. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday