Road Trip!

There was a coupon in the Daily News  for a "special" at a seafood restaurant  on City Island, and Drew wanted to go. 

City Island is located at the extreme western end of Long Island Sound. It's part of the Bronx, located south of Pelham Bay and east of Eastchester Bay (where the Hutchinson River meets the Sound), near Orchard Beach .   We Long Islanders have to cross the Throg's Neck Bridge to get to City Island.  It's about a 40 minute ride from Drew's house.

We've got lots of good seafood on our side of the bridge, but Drew was in the mood for an "adventure".  So we got a group of friends together and headed to City Island Lobster House.

Definitely worth the trip.

Our meal included garlic bread, Greek salad,  an antipasto tray  (mushrooms, olives and cheese) and a hot appetizer tray  (meatballs, sausage and peppers, fried ravioli, and some sort of fried corn puffs), all served family style.  We all got the lobster special,which meant we had our choice of New England or Manhattan clam chowder,  a 1 1/4 pound lobster,  corn on the cob and a choice of rice, baked potato, french fries or broccoli.  Dessert -- a slice of ice cream cake topped with whipped cream -- were included.

I ordered my usual sangria.  We all laughed when I discovered that, in addition to the traditional fruit, my drink included a ...get this....a gummy lobster.


Overall a great evening.  But....

Rude patron alert.

The restaurant is on the ground floor, but the restrooms are on the second floor, accessible only by climbing a narrow staircase.  There is a handicapped accessible restroom on he first floor, a single room with toilet and sink.  The accessible restroom is located near the lobby of the restaurant. 

I have arthritis in both knees; stairs are not my friend.

I wanted to use the restroom just before we left the restaurant.   When I walked over to the restroom, the door was open.  Inside, a young woman was standing by the sink.  She had a curling iron in her hands, and she was fixing her hair!  Her two very young children were running in and out of the restroom.  When she saw me standing and waiting, she closed the door.

I briefly thought about summoning the restaurant manager/owner, but instead, I opted to use the restrooms upstairs.

Though now I am wondering if I should have said something to the owner after all.




Comments

  1. My initial impulse would have been to kick the door open, but of course I wouldn't have done that, and meekly ascended the stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...interesting...maybe she was a owner? (nah) smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh ~ what a 'banquet' of a meal you all had ~ Yummy but so much food to me ~
    As for the rest room ~ many of the younger people are so self center ~ Brave New World we live in ~ Glad you had a good time, though.

    Happy Moments to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very ableist of her. I understand why you didn't complain to management, but it would have been totally okay to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have used the stairs but you would totally have been within your rights to complain to management. By the way, although I grew up in the Bronx, I was in a totally different section. City Island wouldn't have been easy to get to. I would love to visit it one day if I return to NYC for a visit(I've been through City Island as an adult, but never stopped.) That restaurant sounds so yummy! Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday