More this and that

Drew and I were very lazy yesterday.  Neither of us had the energy to do anything.  Besides, it was cold and rainy.  Highlight of the day was takeout Chinese food.  Scallion pancakes, roast pork with mixed vegetables, pepper steak with onions ... the restaurant also has a Thai menu, but I just wasn’t feeling it, so no pad Thai this time around.

We ate while watching a show Drew recorded from PBS.  Ever hear of Tom Lehrer?  Harvard professor with a wicked sense of humor, he wrote and performed satirical parody songs.  I first discovered him on late-night radio.  I’d listen to Dr. Demento on Sunday nights, and Lehrer’s songs were very popular.  Think I might use them on a “Music Monday” post.

I’ll be watching BBC America tonight, part two of the season premiere of Dr Who.  It’s good to have the Doctor back.  I loved the surprise they threw at the audience during Wednesday’s show ... who would have imagined that the Master would turn up again to wreak havoc on the Doctor?


I’m also looking forward to the Jeopardy! special this week.  Three of the greatest champions face off against each other in prime time.  Should be interesting.

Feeling a bit guilty.  There’s a humongous rally planned in NYC today, a stand against antiSemitism. I really should go, I thought about going, but I’m just tired and worn out and ... well, making excuses.

Tomorrow every Jewish person is being encouraged to wear a visible sign of his/her identity.  You can bet I’ll wear my Jewish star tomorrow.


Current read:




It’s a mystery novel. Our protagonist, Lindsay, owns a bake shop called Death By Chocolate.  Lindsay’s best friend/employee Paula is harboring a secret, and someone is stalking Paula ... so far, so good.  And it’s the first in a series; if I like the story, I’ll start reading the rest of the series.

I really don’t want to go back to work tomorrow...


Comments

  1. Please, wear your Jewishness with pride always. There was a time, in living memory for many, when a yellow Star of David was a target, and we must never let this happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a big Tom Lehrer fan. Crazy, delightful songs. "There once was a man named Oedipus Rex....old complex . . . .buy your mother a brand new hat. . .maybe you'd better leave it at that." The man from Minksk and something about Pinksk . . . .I wonder if I can find a Lehrer CD on Amazon. Having watched the Linda Ronstadt CNN special this weekend, I'd also like her "Canciones de mi Padre." (Probably murdering the Spanish.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "odd complex" not "old complex" . Should always reread before hitting "publish."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read that book and I liked it. My son watches Dr. Who and you should wear your Jewishness with pride, always...and I feel the same way about things such as the stupid red hat that trigger folks. I'm just saying...have we got that stupid in our nation that we are so afraid? (sorry about that, "stupid" is my word for the day and I know we are on completely different political spectrums, and that's ok, smiles.) I think you understand what I am saying-at least I hope you do.

    I hope you do go to the rally, I would if I lived in NYC, smiles. Just to show support. P.S. unfort. I think I am suffering from the same syndrome as you; tired, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not going to the rally, but I will wear my Star tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of scallion pancake. It been a while since I seen any doctor who shows.
    Anther one I would watch is "Red Drawf"

    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I know who Tom Lehrer is. I used to watch someone like that on PBS, but that was back in the day when I watched TV live. Now if I don't know to record it, it doesn't get watched.

    Looking forward to the Doctor Who. I had just been wishing for her to encounter some old enemies (or even old friends) from the other Doctors' tenures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liz, you may be thinking of Lehrer, or you may be thinking of Mark Russell. Also a satirical talent.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday