another this and that

Ah, the life of the fearless commuter.  Yesterday my LIRR train was a full ten minutes late.  No explanation, no excuse, no apology, the train simply showed up ten minutes late.  Oh, joy.  And then, even better, the NYC Subway system had major meltdown because of a water main break near Lincoln Center.  Got my week off to a "terrific" start. I'm hoping today will be better.

So...about Weight Watchers.  I lost 2.8 pounds last week.  Not bad, considering I couldn't exercise.

You all have heard me moan groan kvetch cry complain mention  My Stupid Knee?   I've had problems for several years with my right knee.  I think my left knee got jealous of the attention, because now I have to amend the name to My Stupid Knees.  Both knees ache, the left one hurts more than the right.  Yeah, a trip to the orthopedist is in my immediate future.

You probably guessed that we did not go to the march/rally against antisemitism on Sunday. Drew saw me limping out of Ayan's (our favorite Greek/Turkish restaurant) Saturday night and knew I wasn't up to a 2-mile hike through the streets of downtown Mineola.  Newspaper says there were about 2,500 people there, Chuck Schumer was among those who addressed the crowd.  I wish I'd been able to go.  Since I couldn't participate in the march, I made a small donation to the ADL. Every little bit helps.

Yes,  I did say we went out to dinner Saturday night.(I saved a slew of WW points for the indulgence.)  The meal at Ayhan's always starts with soft bread and a yogurt-garlic dip.  Our favorite appetizer is  the house special, "saganaki dip" -- melted mozarella and bits of tomato served with pita bread, sort of a queso fundido without the meat.  Greek salad with lots of feta cheese.  Drew ordered his usual five-kebob feast (steak, lamb, gyro, kofte and chicken).  I had the crab-stuffed flounder.  And the bar special was sangria --Drew ate the fruit from mine as well as his own.  As always, we were so stuffed from the appetizer and the salad that we brought most of our entrees home.

Yesterday Linda mentioned that she didn't realize Daniel Radcliffe could sing.    Not only can he carry a tune, he can carry an entire Broadway show.

Presented here, for your entertainment, is a clip from the 65th annual Tony Awards in 2011, "Brotherhood of Man" from How to Succeed in Business Without  Really Trying, starring Daniel Radcliffe and John Larroquette:.  How to Succeed is one of Drew's favorite musicals.  We saw the show during the annual Broadway Cares campaign, where, after they take their bows, the actors solicit donations from the audience for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. So we listened to Radcliffe fake an American accent all evening, and then, when it was time to solicit donations, he dropped the accent ...leaving Larroquette to joke "you're British?"


 

And yes, he really is that short.  But so very talented.

Comments

  1. It's amazing how many talented actors are also accomplished singers. I suppose it was a bigger deal in the golden age of Hollywood as musicals were more prevalent. Occasionally it shocks me to learn a certain actor or another that I know from this TV show or that movie is actually a great singer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin,

    Sounds like a great way NOT to start the week. Here's hoping things improve. I'm sorry to hear your stupid knee is now being joined by the other. We're all facing unpleasantness as we... (whisper very quietly) age. *sigh* Have a good week, dearie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday