Another this and that

Well, after the plumbing disaster, we did manage to have a lovely New Year’s Eve after all.  We headed over to Villa D’Aqua, an Italian place on the waterfront in Bellmore.  It was a lovely party — good food, good wine, good music, and most importantly, good company.    Hot and cold antipasti (I loved the shrimp and the baked clams) served family style, a pasta course which included gnocchi in pesto, penne a la vodka and ravioli in marinara, and the main course was scaloppine tre funghi (veal Marsala with three types of mushrooms).  I had Italian cheesecake for dessert.  We drank a lovely Pinot Grigio, a mellow Cabernet Sauvignon, and Moët champagne at midnight.  The DJ played a lot of 1970’s disco, as well as hits from the 80’s and 90’s, and yes, I was on the dance floor.

But even though I was having a wonderful evening, I found myself crying, just a bit, when I heard “Auld Lang Syne”.  I guess it was an awareness of the passage of time.  The group of friends with whom we celebrate each year is shrinking — death, distance and disagreements.  Facebook is very good at showing you where you were last year, five years ago, ten years ago ... and the people who are no longer around ...

New Year’s Day, a day of pure laziness.  Sleep in, hang out, eat leftovers.  The best part of the day was watching BBC America, the first episode of the new season of Dr Who.

So now it’s back to life ...back to reality... and trying to decide what I want from 2020 ...

I’ve fallen off the “healthy eating and exercise” wagon, and I need to get back to that.  Truth is, I feel better when I eat right and exercise.  Dancing on New Year’s left me breathless, and not necessarily in a good way.  I want to feel better.

I haven’t had much time for nature lately.  When we went down to Jones Beach for the holiday light show, I realized I hadn’t taken a walk on the boardwalk in months ... It was  easier to find time for nature walks when I wasn’t commuting to Manhattan every day.  I am going to have to carve out some time.

And speaking of carving out time ... I seem to have abandoned my meditation practice.  It keeps me centered and focused ... I’ve been feeling adrift lately ...

And restless.  I guess that comes from the realization that I will celebrate a milestone birthday next month.  I am moving into a new decade of my life.  Always an optimist, I’m curious as to what the next decade will bring.

Bring it on, 2020, I’m ready.


























Comments

  1. What a great photo of you and Drew!!! You can keep the shrimp (giggling)--I am so allergic to it, but I'll take everything else, lol/grin.

    I hear you on making changes, I won't be needing to walk the 1/2 mile up the hill to campus this coming semester (on Directed Study)--SO I will have to find another way to get these old bones going, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not handle moving into my 60's well. I thought I did, but looking back I see that I really didn't. Oh well, here's to the trip to age 70. May it be peaceful, calm, and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear the night went better after the plumbing disaster. Have you ever considered taking a walk during your lunch break? You don't have the time after work that you had when you weren't commuting, so maybe during the day? Just a thought.

    So glad the Doctor got to "meet" someone from her past. Well, sort of. That was a humdinger of a cliffhanger...

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing to make next decade better is to get rid of current President. But hope your 2020 is beautiful, bright and meaningful.

    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday