life in and around NYC is insane

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

summer...I can taste it...

Literally.

One of my favorite summer dishes is pasta salad.

It's easy to prepare, very forgiving.  Cook your pasta, add veggies, dress.  Voila, pasta salad.

I have adapted a recipe I got from my sister.  Her pasta salad is famous in our family.

I  like  to use rotelle or shells.  I'll usually throw in a bag of frozen peas (I don't cook them -- I defrost them by placing them in the colander where I'm about to drain my pasta, and let the cooking water do the rest), shredded carrots, red onion, and bell peppers.  I don't measure the vegetables, I just cut them up and add them until it looks like "enough".

The dressing?  My sister adapted one she found by taking the oil out.  I don't have the original recipe, but I put the oil back in.  Here's what I use:

2 T honey
1 T honey mustard or Dijon mustard
1/4 C balsamic vinegar
3/4 C extra virgin olive oil

Whisk ingredients together and serve over the pasta salad. 

You can use less oil, if you like, or even eliminate the oil altogether.

So simple.  And a real taste of summer.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me