true confessions time


I have a confession to make:  I still read Young Adult fiction.

Of course, I read other types of books as well.  I minored in English in college, had to read all sorts of great works of literature.

I shouldn’t say “had to read”.  I should say I “got to read”.  Ibsen, Shakespeare, Dickens, Bronte, Poe…

I loved to read when I was a child.  Books, magazines, newspapers – you’d always find me with reading material at hand.  You could usually find me curled up on my bed, lost in whatever story I had discovered.  Or sometimes, in good weather, you’d find me reading on the porch.    I could spend an hour in our basement, looking through the treasure trove of books my parents had purchased and loved.  Or perhaps a trip to the library…that was always fun.

In high school I read everything.  Not just the assignments from my English teacher, but also science fiction (Asimov, Heinlein, Bradbury, Clarke), mysteries (I loved Perry Mason and anything by Agatha Christie), fantasy (Tolkien)…I read War and Peace and Anna Karenina just for the pleasure of it.  Leon Uris was also one of my favorites.

I read many types of works, many genres.  Historical novels, such as the type Philippa Gregory writes.  Nelson DeMille – I love his John Corey series.  Escapist stories by Jimmy Buffett.  The Betty White biography is sitting on my nook.  So are three cookbooks, a guidebook to Colonial Williamsburg (purchased just before our trip a few years ago), three magazines, The Great Gatsby, and the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series.

But Young Adult fiction is a fun, easy read. No reason why an adult shouldn’t read them.  I loved all of the Harry Potter novels.  Every time a new Harry Potter came out, I’d have to buy multiple copies because Jen, Becca and I all wanted to be the first to read the new book.  And Becca introduced me to the Percy Jackson books.

So right now I’m reading the Hunger Games Trilogy.  No surprise there, actually.  I loved the first two movies, and the third movie is due out next month.  A dystopian society, a strong heroine, lots of action – what’s not to like?  No, it’s not great literature full of deep, dark meaning.  But I’m enjoying the ride, and can’t wait to see how it all ends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday