Supermarket shopping

 When my father retired, back in the late 1980's, and my mother  was still working full time, he turned supermarket shopping into a hobby.  He'd read the weekly circulars from every store in the neighborhood, he'd clip and organize coupons, he'd make note of who was offering to double coupons that week, he'd get out his pen and paper and make lists,  He'd make sure that his check cashing card for each store was in his wallet, he'd bring his checkbook to the store, and then he would shop...drive to another store...and shop some more...


When I want groceries...

Do I want to actually go to the store and shop?  Does the store offer curbside pickup?  Delivery?  OK, I'm actually going to the store this time...

Have I updated the store's app and clipped the online coupons? Do I have any paper coupons?  I read the newspaper on line, so I don't get a lot of coupons, but sometimes Drew shares with me.

Ugh, that's right.  The soda bottles. A 5 cent deposit for each bottle.  Let me bag them up and bring them with me. Do I have my reusable bags?  I don't want to pay a nickel for a paper bag. OK, I've got my mask, let's go.

What kind of idiot leaves a shopping cart in a parking spot?  It was too much effort to walk it over to the corral?  Maybe this store should do what Aldi's does, charge a deposit...The bottle machine is full again, we need to call the maintenance man so we can return the rest of these bottles...Why did they bother to leave the one-way arrows on the floor of each aisle if they weren't going to enforce it  anymore? Pity they had to take out the salad bar...they've stopped limiting the number of rolls of paper towels you can buy...no problem finding my Clorox wipes...

I think the Plexiglas between the cashier and the customer is going to be permanent...here, scan my store app...you don't take Google Pay?  OK, let me get out my card...you know, my chip failed once, it was so embarrassing... you used to be able to feed a family of four with what I just paid for groceries for one person... Let me lug these out to the car....

Next time I am  ordering through  Instacart...


Comments

  1. Instacart was a nightmare during the early days of COVID. My husband did our shopping - at least he wasn't afraid to go into a store like I was(he, by the way, spent many years in the supermarket industry. You literally had to get up at 3am to book an Instacart spot a week in advance - maybe, if you were lucky, and they weren't already grabbed. It's lot better now, obviously, but husband insists on picking his own veggies and other perishables. He's one of those who also wants to go into supermarkets when we travel out of town, just to check them out. If I had to do it myself, I'd be ordering delivery, for sure. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becca had to self quarantine in her apartment in March 2020. She had just come back from Europe, flew home during the first days of the travel ban and had no groceries. She couldn’t get an Instacart appointment. Drew and I had to buy groceries, drive into the city and drop them off,

      Delete
  2. I actually enjoy grocery shopping. I don't do the coupon thing, mostly because I don't get newspapers and such. But yeah, there is a lot of stuff that we have to deal with today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since hubby is retire and takes care of place he does most of shopping. I wills stop in on way home and grab a few things.
    I worry what domestic skill I lost
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday