Music Monday

 Another "your choice" week.


Today I am in the mood for some Bette Midler.


Let's start with her big hit from 1973.  





But before she was the Divine Miss M, she was  in the cast of one of my favorite Broadway musicals.  She and two castmates did their thing on the Tony Awards:



Wow, she was so young there...

Did you know she won a Tony  in 1974?





She built her solo career by singing in gay bathhouses and other similar venues in NYC. Her accompanist became famous in his own right.  Know who that was?



I just love her Stones cover



But let's get to the things she's really known for, her movie roles and the songs she sang in those movies.








But then, she's also gone back to her Broadway roots.  In a TV production of Gypsy:


and more recently in Hello, Dolly!

Her entrance:


with David Hyde Pierce



And the big production number:



Of course she won the Tony that year





Comments

  1. The Divine Miss M through the years! So, not being a Broadway person or a movie person, I was absolutely captivated by Bette's performance in the 1st Wives Club clip with the best cover (along with her co-stars) ever of a song I absolutely love. I know her for her hits and this showed other sides of her. Especially her "collision" with Johnny Carson still laughing! I did know about her and Barry Manilow. Very nice post! Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First Wives Club was a great movie. My sisters fell in love with the song, and taught it to my daughters. Try to imagine a couple of elementary school kids singing “You don’t own me”

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday